Railroad Forums 

• Autorack trains out of Framingham

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#178438  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hey every1, i have a question, i was looking through pictures on NERAIL and i came across this one:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=rchorgan

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=rchorgan

what is this autoracks symbol and when does it usually leave the CP yard? what im asking i guess is whats it symbol, schedule, and destination, thanks :-D

matt

#178559  by CSX Engineer 98

Its been awhile since Ive been to work ( Im out on a Cronic Illness) But I believe it is a Extra Q-283 that is called "Off the Spare board" when they get enough racks to make it worth while for a train out of the CP Yard. I also believe they are making up freight trains in the CP yard also? to help the conjestion that forms in the Framingham "North Yard "and in "Nevins Yard"

#178700  by conrail_engineer

I've never worked out of Framingham. But CSX codes all its autorack trains as "200s" - Q-260 or whatever. Even numbers run east; odd numbers run west.

There are exceptions to this. Several trains from Avon to Crestline have racks mixed with Trailvan cargo, and run coded as "100s."

CSX is nothing if not disorganized.

#178733  by octr202

The Bull Sheet is listing the eastbound autorack train on the B&A as Q264 (Cleveland-Framingham) and the westbound counterpart as Q283 (Framingham-Buffalo). It also lists Q293, which is the racks to Ayer on GRS, I believe? Is that still running?

#178744  by CSX Conductor

Q283 is now on-duty 7 days a week at 0500 hours in Beacon Park but the crew taxis to Framingham to get the power there. The company wants the Q283 crews based out of Framingham, but that's still in the works. Q283 generally goes engine lite to East Brookfield to pick-up there. When needed, they have been using the symbol of Q-203 for auto racks out of the CP Yard. For a little while they were having Q437 take racks west, but I think that has stopped altogether now.

The rack trains are:

Q203: As needed CP-Yard to Buffalo
Q264: Cleveland to Framingham (if no cars for Framingham, drop train @ East Brookfield and go engine lite to Framingham)
Q274: Cleveland to Ayer
Q283: Lite engine from Framingham, pick-up East Brookfield then to Selkirk/Buffalo
Q293: Racks from Ayer to Buffalo

CP Yard is also used for freight as CSX Engineer 98 stated. They mainly use it for switching out inbound trains from Selkirk to make up the blocks for the Cape, Readville and so on and then bring it up to Nevins or the North Yard.

#178749  by CSX Engineer 98

Yes Q-293 still runs, Yes Q-264 is the train that comes east with loaded autoracks thats destination is East Brookfield. Q-420 and Q-436 bring Autoracks on their head end for framingham.

Q-283 and Q-293 are both solid Empty autorack Trains heading west.