Railroad Forums 

• Automax train on 11/9

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#183796  by mike

Today an Automax train went south on the Toledo Branch passing Owens in Toledo shortly before 3. Does this train normally run via Toledo? I assume it destined for Marysville. What is the symbol as well?

Also, mixed among the KCS and Automax cars, where several CSX automax racks. This was the first time I'd seen CSX automax cars. Does anyone else own any of these?

Thanks for any responses and info.

#184921  by ToledoTerminalRy

Mike quite often do I see an automax train roll by on the TT and also down in Walbridge in the southern end of the yard. Im pretty sure NS, UP, and TTX owns some Automax's but they are painted yellow, but dont quote me on that. Good to see you have come to the good ole East Side lol, just hope you dont mind the smell. J/K

Happy Fanning,

Ryan

#184969  by railohio

The yellow articulated auto carriers are not Auto-Max cars; they were made by Thrall. Auto-Max carriers are made by Gunderson, a subsidiary of Greenbrier.

#187157  by zwsplac

Looking at Bullsheet.com, my best guess would be Q257.

#191255  by matt

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... 66666.html

Here is a Popular Mechanics article about these cars, including and inside view.

I've seen these for CSX, KCS, BNSF, and don't forget the "Auto-Max" lettered cars have smaller AOK lettering representing the Arkansas and Oklahoma Railroad.

How they got involved is for one of our experts.

#191337  by railohio

They just got into car leasing. Don't look for a giant loading facility on the AOK anytime soon. No different than the boxcar craze that struck in the late '70s. Shortlines would have more cars they they actually had rails to store them on. Wasn't a problem until the market went bust and those cars were all sent to home rails for storage.

#191392  by MSchwiebert

matt wrote:AOK lettering representing the Arkansas and Oklahoma Railroad.

How they got involved is for one of our experts.
GE Railcar leasing has also used reporting marks for many short lines (like EEC, CUOH and others) So this may be a possiblility. I don't have access to a new enough ORER to confirm.