Railroad Forums 

• auto unloading yard on the philly sub?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#849496  by frikentrainnerd

Dose anyone know where an auto unloading yard is on the philly sub is? I passed it comeing home to MD from Philly a few days ago and passed the yard, however i do not have any location of the area i was in at that time (sorry!)
 #849682  by glennk419

frikentrainnerd wrote:Dose anyone know where an auto unloading yard is on the philly sub is? I passed it comeing home to MD from Philly a few days ago and passed the yard, however i do not have any location of the area i was in at that time (sorry!)
That yard is located in Twin Oaks adjacent to I-95 in the area of the Rt. 322 interchange.
 #849809  by pumpers

While we are on the subject, 2-3 miles north of there, where the tracks are next to I-95, just south of Route 352/Avenue of the States, there is a very small dead-end yard where I often see strings of hoppers, with no factory nearby. Does anyone know what this or is used for? Transload?
Where did this come from -- e.g. is it the stub end of some branch or industrial siding that was cut back?
JS
 #849810  by JimBoylan

It's a relatively new transload facility in Chester, built new by the railroad, one siding at a time. I don't think that there was much there before, and the landscape and track elevation were changed about 1970 when the Delaware Expressway, I-95, was built.
 #849900  by glennk419

JimBoylan wrote:It's a relatively new transload facility in Chester, built new by the railroad, one siding at a time. I don't think that there was much there before, and the landscape and track elevation were changed about 1970 when the Delaware Expressway, I-95, was built.
They actually built an extended passing siding alongside that transload facility since it is busy enough that the local switching it was blocking the main waaaaay too often.
 #849903  by glennk419

glennk419 wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:It's a relatively new transload facility in Chester, built new by the railroad, one siding at a time. I don't think that there was much there before, and the landscape and track elevation were changed about 1970 when the Delaware Expressway, I-95, was built.
They actually built an extended passing siding alongside that transload facility within the last few years since it is busy enough that the local switching it was blocking the main waaaaay too often.
 #850123  by frikentrainnerd

I looked all over Bing maps but i could not find what looked like an autocarrier yard or anything like that.
Do you happen to have an address i can use?
 #850124  by glennk419

The auto unloading facility can be seen here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Aston ... de=ADDRESS

The approximate address is 100 Conchester Hwy, Twin Oaks

The transload can be seen here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Chest ... de=ADDRESS

The address I used was 1300 Crosby St, Chester

You'll need to switch to aerial view and zoom in to get a better look.
 #852309  by pumpers

glennk419 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:
They actually built an extended passing siding alongside that transload facility within the last few years since it is busy enough that the local switching it was blocking the main waaaaay too often.
Jim, Glenn, thanks. From satellite photos the siding goes all the way down to the auto unloading yard, 2-3 miles. I used to live right on the Trenton line tracks up in NJ and saw trains that were about 2 miles long I estimated, so I guess they need those long sidings. JS