Railroad Forums 

• Austin Yard?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1078764  by ajajaj

Hello, I am new to the Austin area and the only yards I have been able to track down are outside of Austin. Am I correct on this notion? I have used the search engine for the site, to see what I found, and all I have really seen is Georgetown and Taylor. I was looking to do some railfaning and as I said I am really new to the area so I barely even know where I live haha. Anyway, I know this is a totally newb post but and input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I recently came from Chattanooga where I frequented Wauhatchie and Wilcox (CSX and NS) yards, I am not a complete newb just to Austin. Anyway! Have a good one folks.
 #1082375  by lirr42

Yes, from what I can find online and from looking at maps, there are no real freight yards within Austin. The closest large ones are, like you said, at Georetown and Taylor.
 #1082842  by ajajaj

lirr42 wrote:Yes, from what I can find online and from looking at maps, there are no real freight yards within Austin. The closest large ones are, like you said, at Georetown and Taylor.
thanks for the response. i have checked as well myself and only found those two, other than the very tiny cedar park yard. which really has no thru trains other than the astas i dont think and maybe a few locals. if that.