Railroad Forums 

• ATSF Unit on FGLK?

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
 #810990  by roadster

Well, if their taking the ballast cars South on NS's Corning main or whatever it's called now. I'd suspect between Himrod and Watkins Glen.
 #811077  by Lehighton_Man

As roadster said, I'd suspect Himrod to be where the stone cars are taken... Some sort of Transload (?) Operation going on I think.
Side dumps to Solvay says nothing more to me than trackwork. Can anyone confirm this?
 #811736  by scharnhorst

I thoght that some of the cars were tied down on the main line in Phelphs to be loaded with stone? Have not seen any side dumps going East on the Geneva-Solvay train mostley hopper cars. There loaded cars going east and emptys going west.

Anyways moveing on to the new units.. I'm hereing storys that both units are or have been moved around a bit the past few weeks. Whats the news on them so far?
 #811737  by dutchboy

2310 was at the end of a block of boxcars in the yard today..
Looks like this one has moved...
 #811837  by Lehighton_Man

scharnhorst wrote:I thoght that some of the cars were tied down on the main line in Phelphs to be loaded with stone? Have not seen any side dumps going East on the Geneva-Solvay train mostley hopper cars. There loaded cars going east and emptys going west.

Anyways moveing on to the new units.. I'm hereing storys that both units are or have been moved around a bit the past few weeks. Whats the news on them so far?
Yeah, there is a quarry operation going on out there that requires the cars to be tied down on the main, and loaded with a frontloader. There are no plans to build a Spur at the location, as far as I know.
 #811847  by poppyl

The side dumps go on down to Watkins Glen from Himrod. There is a construction company at the end of the line out past Watkins Salt that receives several carloads of gravel periodically. Depending upon traffic to the salt plants, they may sit at Himrod for a few days before heading down.

Poppyl
 #812071  by CHECKIT

Most of the time, if stone is in side dump cars, the cars are being sent to Himrod to unload at a pit, for customers. This is the place where the majority of the side dump traffic goes.
Occasionally, private land owners have bought stone for residential use south of Himrod. The U.S. Salt plant boiler project took quite a few cars, last year, but that is basically done now.
Most of the time, if stone is in ballast cars, it is being used for company ballast programs.
Some of the time, side dumps are used for company purposes such as rip-rap projects, clean-up projects, etc.
2309 is outside the enginehouse for work prior to use. Cab interior painting, batteries, engine bearings, fresh oil, some body work, new airbrakes, etc. before trying to run it. Its on an 'as-time-permits' schedule. Hopefully the grafitti comes off easily.
2310 has some issues. It will likely be OOS for some time.It was never fully drained, apparently, by a previous owner, and suffered freeze damage to some components. Thankfully, the block seems sound. It is stored on a yard track in Geneva.
Painting is important to the Finger Lakes, but it is expensive and time consuming. Current heavy business demands most locomotives to be out in service. Hopefully one or two will get painted this year. (Corporate lightening stripe is planned if it happens.)
 #812273  by scharnhorst

CHECKIT wrote:Most of the time, if stone is in side dump cars, the cars are being sent to Himrod to unload at a pit, for customers. This is the place where the majority of the side dump traffic goes.
Occasionally, private land owners have bought stone for residential use south of Himrod. The U.S. Salt plant boiler project took quite a few cars, last year, but that is basically done now.
Most of the time, if stone is in ballast cars, it is being used for company ballast programs.
Some of the time, side dumps are used for company purposes such as rip-rap projects, clean-up projects, etc.
2309 is outside the enginehouse for work prior to use. Cab interior painting, batteries, engine bearings, fresh oil, some body work, new airbrakes, etc. before trying to run it. Its on an 'as-time-permits' schedule. Hopefully the grafitti comes off easily.
2310 has some issues. It will likely be OOS for some time.It was never fully drained, apparently, by a previous owner, and suffered freeze damage to some components. Thankfully, the block seems sound. It is stored on a yard track in Geneva.
Painting is important to the Finger Lakes, but it is expensive and time consuming. Current heavy business demands most locomotives to be out in service. Hopefully one or two will get painted this year. (Corporate lightening stripe is planned if it happens.)
Sounds like both units were bought not knowing there condition till after they arrived? I wonder of them AC Units on the cabs work or if they to will be removed?
 #812341  by roadster

I imagine the owners inspected and were fully aware of the conditions of the units and may have gotten a bargain price, with some work to do. Feeling the cost of repairs were less than buying a fully conditioned and available unit. Sounds like the 2309 is easier to fix and can be available in short order, and 2310 may get repaired as time, parts, and nescessity require.
 #812443  by CHECKIT

Roadster hit it right on the head. They were inspected in Coshocton, OH came at a good price as-is-where-is.
2309 will be done first, 2310 as time permits, and needs demand.
A/C units? We'll see, but not a priority!
Thanks, Roadster
 #812966  by Lehighton_Man

CHECKIT wrote:A/C units? We'll see, but not a priority!
Thanks, Roadster
An open cabdoor at 20 MPH does just the trick. ;)

But, You never know with these sweltering New York Summers.
 #822046  by CHECKIT

FGLK 2309 has been tested for the last couple of days on the Geneva local. It seems to work great so far. Now back to the shop for some sand box replacements and to try to clean it up a bit. Should hit the road soon!
Oh yeah, the AC unit seems to work good too!
 #822155  by scharnhorst

I'm sure that 2309 will turn a few heads when it dose make its move East on the Geneva - Solvay train.
 #822477  by Plate F

FGLK's first loco with AC? Haha thought I'd never see the day!
I think a pig just flew by my window.
 #823419  by scharnhorst

Plate F wrote:FGLK's first loco with AC? Haha thought I'd never see the day!
I think a pig just flew by my window.
both FGLK 2309 and 2310 are former ATSF Units both have AC Units on the cabs.