Railroad Forums 

• Athearn NYA MP15s

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #853081  by dedm30junk

Its about time they did something right. Now where are the LIRR in blue and white and blue and yellow and blue light gray and black and yellow. Waiting a long time for the LIRR. Lets go Athearn do the LIRR.
 #853796  by workextra

That is cool! But a posted above where are the LIRR MP51ac models?
Considering that they are a modern LIRR freight carrier NYAR models were done first. However one of each pain scheme on the LI MP15ac's should be done.
IF they want to get creative. engines such as "P-161 and P-171 could have a CV where they can be maintained in the 5th notch and consisted with another engine for a push-pull train. :-D
wishful thinking. In the mean time I will be stocking up on the NYAR units.
 #854512  by peanut1

I agree they should do the LIRR units too. I will be doing the same. Stock up.
 #855246  by workextra

The problem I see happening with assembling a small fleet or getting one of each road number is the cost to the time between LI and NYAR models. As a collector There as been a recent influx in these road names. Atlas starting with the RS1, S1's P2K and Atlas Geeps, Athearn NYA Geeps, Con-Cor mP54's True-line with the CPA20/24s. You get the hint. You have multiple release of the Atlas Geeps with different road numbers. This all add's up.
Most use for all this Long Island. NYAR models is to make a modular display setup or keep in on a display rack.
To decently model these road names and operations you need to be going into a point-point or yard switching operation, Also you will need room or a double deck.
In HO a half way decent of the say Oyster Bay branch would take a double deck layout on a large open around the walls plan.
Same for the east end Mainline and Montauk branch.
For realistic operations you would want to use a timetable train order system which becomes difficult in any small layout.

As long as there is money available I will get at least 2 sound equipped units. Now only if a sound equipped GP38-2 comes out. There is beyond enough demand for such a unit.
 #855251  by Ken S.

workextra wrote:The problem I see happening with assembling a small fleet or getting one of each road number is the cost to the time between LI and NYAR models. As a collector There as been a recent influx in these road names. Atlas starting with the RS1, S1's P2K and Atlas Geeps, Athearn NYA Geeps, Con-Cor mP54's True-line with the CPA20/24s. You get the hint. You have multiple release of the Atlas Geeps with different road numbers. This all add's up.
Most use for all this Long Island. NYAR models is to make a modular display setup or keep in on a display rack.
To decently model these road names and operations you need to be going into a point-point or yard switching operation, Also you will need room or a double deck.
In HO a half way decent of the say Oyster Bay branch would take a double deck layout on a large open around the walls plan.
Same for the east end Mainline and Montauk branch.
For realistic operations you would want to use a timetable train order system which becomes difficult in any small layout.

As long as there is money available I will get at least 2 sound equipped units. Now only if a sound equipped GP38-2 comes out. There is beyond enough demand for such a unit.
Walthers did the FA Powerpack as part of their Trainline series. The thing missing for LIRR is RTR passenger cars. Rapido is doing the "American Flyer" cars, but I honestly think they'll be cancelled.
 #855787  by REM3Night

I spoke to Athearn several times about doing the LIRR MP-15ACs as did several other people. They have all of the information needed to do the job. Athearn is very reluctant to do the LIRR ones. I also mentioned that the LIRR rarely runs MPs one at a time, so I suggested that they do a set of one powered and a dummy to help us to hold down our cost. They said that "no one buys dummy units". Maybe we could change their minds with a letter writing campaigne.
I'm surprised that they are doing the NYA.
 #855842  by workextra

LIRR would be the bigger market.
One each paint scheme or at least the "as delivered" scheme.
 #860069  by andre

if one is willing enough to go the extra mile, microscale and a few other decal producers do have LIRR decals and one could custom paint an LIRR MP15
 #860950  by mp15ac

In case any of you are into O gauge MTH has in their 2011 Vol. 1 catalog the MP15AC in NY&A as well.

Stuart