Railroad Forums 

• Athearn Funit

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1093223  by Montrealrail1

Hi,I have difficult with my username and I had to make another one...

Here's my question about Athearn F unit locomotive..
I'm seraching a way to reduce the space between the locomotives and the cars
as we can see,looking great in front view

but,between the units,the space are very large and for sure,not to scale..

even with the shorter coupler shank I found,still get a lot of space,and I trying to find a good way,to make a modification,or only a drawbar to get a real scale space between the engines..

If having some idea,it's will be welcome..
 #1093581  by Backshophoss

If you can find a pair of MDC(Roundhouse) dummy couplers,they're shorter,and drilling new holes in the coupler pad closer to the frame
might help.(Drill+tap for 2-56 screw,no room for coupler box)