Railroad Forums 

• ASB to NYP via Neweark/HOB

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1343962  by fset

I wonder if anyone knows the answer.
I was leaving Asbury Park for NYP, and there is a 2:29 out of Asbury Park for HOB. I assume I can get off at Newark (or Linden, Elizabeth) and wait for any train to NYP, but my elderly friend didn't want to do that, because she said the train comes into Newark on a different track, and we'd have to haul our bags downstairs, over and up.
Is the transfer at Newark across the platform (also to PATH), or do I have to change platforms at Newark for NYP ?
 #1344004  by R3 Passenger

That train does not stop at Linden or Elizabeth. It appears that the only transfer point you have is either Newark Penn Station or Newark Airport. If I recall correctly, EWR has island platforms, so it would probably be easier. However, I do not know if EWR can be used as a transfer point. The train you are on arrives at EWR and NWK at 3:43 and 3:49 respectively, while the next trains to NYP arrive at 3:48 and 3:54 respectively. I do not know which track trains to the Waterfront Connection use at NWK.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of NJT operations would know more about this than I.
 #1344069  by peconicstation

The train that you are considering usually stops on Track A in Newark, and yes that requires a trek down the stairs and then back up a set of stairs to Track 1, although there
are elevators (provided they are running).
This particular train is popular during the summer with day tripping beach goers (it used to run about 1 hour later than it does today), and residents of the shore like it as it
does not make all the local stops along the corrider.

That said, for someone with mobility issues you are better off taking one of the shuttle trains to Long Branch, where you make a same platform connection.

Ken
 #1344356  by fset

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, my friend is 72 years old and has acute mobility issues. I like the idea of getting off at Newark Airport and waiting there.
So, would we just take our seat checks with us when we get off at NWK Airport?
 #1344927  by CNJGeep

fset wrote:Thanks for the ideas. Yes, my friend is 72 years old and has acute mobility issues. I like the idea of getting off at Newark Airport and waiting there.
So, would we just take our seat checks with us when we get off at NWK Airport?
No, it's a different train. Your seat checks remain on your seat. Also, EWR is not a transfer point per se. Some conductors will take it as a transfer point, some will not. Your best bet is to ask the Conductor on 2312 before you get on. Otherwise, I advise taking 3256 or 4352-3252 from Long Branch.