Railroad Forums 

• Article regarding the Chester Branch

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#816893  by R36 Combine Coach

Toys R Us no longer receives regular shipments so the High Bridge Branch south of Kenvil is more or less idle.
 #816920  by blockline4180

cjvrr wrote:Kuiken is scheduled to start receiving cars just about the time we finish the track work. Their site is nearly complete. It was just paved about two weeks ago.

High Bridge Branch had a train on it a week ago. However it only went a few hundred feet south of the lower Berkshire Valley Road crossing. It was three loads of lumber; unloaded just south of the Berkshire Valley Road crossing. It did not cross Route 46.

blockline4180 wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:Has Kuiken Bros even received a car yet?
Nope!

And OT, the High Bridge Branch has not seen a train since December!!! :(
Yes, but it is still a shame that Toys R Us and Target no longer get shipments, especially after the County just constructed flashers on Route 10.
 #818142  by RAHWAYVALLEY

Work has commenced on the Chester Branch rehab. A gondola car is parked just south of the Rt. 10 crossing and Railroad Construction vehicles were observed in this location.
 #818366  by RS115

CV

I drove by Holland Manufacturing the other day and the area looks very tight for the run-around to fit between the existing main and the pole line. Is there more room than I think there is the pole line being relocated?

They'll shock some people on 10 the first time they cross to go to Kuikens - first movement since what - 2002-2003? Wickes didn't get much by rail the last few years.

Andy
 #818511  by cjvrr

The clearance is close, but acceptable to fit the runaround.

Track removal began between Route 10 and the Kuiken turnout yesterday, today it will continue up to Main Street.

I have uploaded several photos here;

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=57712

RS115 wrote:CV

I drove by Holland Manufacturing the other day and the area looks very tight for the run-around to fit between the existing main and the pole line. Is there more room than I think there is the pole line being relocated?

They'll shock some people on 10 the first time they cross to go to Kuikens - first movement since what - 2002-2003? Wickes didn't get much by rail the last few years.

Andy
 #819174  by ccutler

Next time someone is there please check out the stamped manufacturing date, and the weight, on the rail that's being removed. I bet its quite old and light.
 #819355  by cjvrr

South of Kuiken the rail is 100# DL&W rail. North of that point it is 90# with some heavier rail at crossings. I have seen dates around 1908 or 1911 of some rails. There is a mix of standard spikes and DL&W screw spikes holding the rail. Most of the screw spikes have absolutely no thread left on them.

Its also amazing how many of the tie plates have actually broken in half. Most ties are turning to dust upon removal or when picked up.
 #819917  by R36 Combine Coach

Interesting to see century old original Lackawanna rail. The Black River line still has original PRR, dating from between the 1890s and 1910s in the Flemington area.
 #820188  by X4401

That old alco sounded great crossing route 10. After working night shift and getting off at 0600 It woke me up instantly at 0800. People across town were probably on the phone complaining within seconds, but I looked past the silent alarm clock and out the open window and though "welcome back old friend."
 #820189  by X4401

It looks like some grade crossing work may be about to take place on Main Street. Lots of squiggly paint lines in multiple colors on the pavement, probably engineerese for "Dig here dummy" but I don't have Rosetta stone for that particular language lol.
 #820295  by cjvrr

Main Street, First Street, and Berkshire Valley Road crossings will be replaced. Hoping to get the Route 46 replaced too under a separate funding source. Route 10 is not included in the project. Several crossings within the County Concrete facility will be replace / constructed too.

The bridge over Berkshire Valley Road will be painted.

X4401 wrote:It looks like some grade crossing work may be about to take place on Main Street. Lots of squiggly paint lines in multiple colors on the pavement, probably engineerese for "Dig here dummy" but I don't have Rosetta stone for that particular language lol.
 #820324  by Ken W2KB

X4401 wrote:It looks like some grade crossing work may be about to take place on Main Street. Lots of squiggly paint lines in multiple colors on the pavement, probably engineerese for "Dig here dummy" but I don't have Rosetta stone for that particular language lol.
Probably underground utility markout to show where not to dig with mechanical equipment. State law that everyone (with a couple exceptions) has to call a phone number for free markout service a few days before digging more than 4 inches or so. Different colors for water, sewer, electric, natural gas, and so forth. So if you are planting a balled bush in your backyard you are supposed to call. It's one way to determine if near-term grade crossing work is planned as you noted.
 #820832  by X4401

Very Interesting. The symbols / hieroglyphics are blue and almost look like those male / female symbols that phys ed teachers would spend their entire class trying to explain as all sorts of deviant activity took place just out of sight behind the bleachers.

I know everyone will welcome the grade crossing rebuilding. Lots of lane encroachment taking place as oncoming motorists decide its safer to risk a head on collision than hit a half inch pot hole along side the rail. :wink:

Yesterday three guys with helmets, vests, NY plates, and one digital camera appeared to be inspecting the job.

Today one lone railfan with a Bruce Willis hair cut, similar to my own lol was taking digital pics from main street.

This event has quite an audience. Lets go a few miles further and get the ball rolling on the "Chester Dinky Train!" lol