• Arthur D Dubin 1923-2011

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Gilbert B Norman

Today's New York Times reports the passing of Arthur Dubin, which occurred on October 3:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/us/ar ... at-88.html

Brief passage:

• Arthur Dubin, a leading historian of the golden age of American passenger railroads, when trains bore names like ocean liners and Champagne glasses were filled by elegantly attired servers, died on Oct. 3 at a nursing home in Riverwoods, Ill. He was 88.
Mr. Dubin was best known for his authorship of the two "Bibles' of passenger train cars, namely "Some Classic Trains" and "More Classic Trains". Somehow almost fifty years ago, young railfans such as myself found the $40 to order each volume from Kalmbach.

While I never had the personal pleasure, I do have friends my age who both met and socialized with Mr. Dubin, who resided in Highland Park IL. Once I can recall with these friends we were to meet with him at a Ravinia Fastival concert, but a last minute change scratched that.

The rail historical community has indeed suffered a great loss.