Railroad Forums 

• Arrivals at NY Penn

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1336514  by Steampowered

Is there a way for people to know when an NJT train is due into Penn station NYC. I usually tell them look up newark and add 10 mins. But is there an offical arrival train screen ?
 #1336521  by philipmartin

They do have some arrival monitors around Penn Station, New York.
I was going to suggest Departure Vision on your computer, "njtransit.com, rider tools, station & parking info," but in the case of New York it lives up to its name and only shows departures.
For what it's worth, here it is. Click on "View Departure Vision."
http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet. ... &x=53&y=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or you could look up departure vision for Newark Penn or Newark Broad for departures for New York or Hoboken, to see how your train is doing.
You will notice that Departure Vision also shows Amtrak trains, with estimated station stop times as far as Washington.
Ten minutes between New York and Newark: even the GG1s didn't do it that fast, even without a stop at Lautenberg. It used to be fifteen minutes, although engineers of crowded trains sometimes ran slow to give train crews extra time to pick up fares.
It's about twenty minutes these days.
 #1336575  by Head-end View

The NJT schedule for eastbound trains on today's date (Sun. 6/21) shows a running time of 20-30 minutes from Newark Penn to New York Penn depending on the particular train. Seems longer than I would have expected. However, the weekday schedule for westbound trains show a more reasonable 18-22 minutes.
 #1336645  by Ken W2KB

Head-end View wrote:The NJT schedule for eastbound trains on today's date (Sun. 6/21) shows a running time of 20-30 minutes from Newark Penn to New York Penn depending on the particular train. Seems longer than I would have expected. However, the weekday schedule for westbound trains show a more reasonable 18-22 minutes.
Part of the extra minutes eastbound is likely due to padding so NJT can report a somewhat better on-time performance.
 #1336654  by DutchRailnut

no, time wise its based on signal indications, Westbound the signals are better than restricting going out of terminal.
Eastbound the train will get progressively worse signals as there will be either a red or bumping block at end of its trip.
so the schedule reflects that.
 #1336661  by MACTRAXX

Steampowered wrote:Is there a way for people to know when an NJT train is due into Penn station NYC. I usually tell them look up newark and add 10 mins. But is there an offical arrival train screen ?
SP:

You can inquire about arriving trains at NYP at the Customer Service Office in the NJT section adjacent to the Ticket Office during the hours that it is open...

MACTRAXX
 #1336671  by CentralValleyRail

DutchRailnut wrote:no, time wise its based on signal indications, Westbound the signals are better than restricting going out of terminal.
Eastbound the train will get progressively worse signals as there will be either a red or bumping block at end of its trip.
so the schedule reflects that.
That maybe true, however a 26 minute running time between SEC-NYP is not signal based. It has to do with single tracking overnight in the Hudson Tunnels.
MACTRAXX wrote:
Steampowered wrote:Is there a way for people to know when an NJT train is due into Penn station NYC. I usually tell them look up newark and add 10 mins. But is there an offical arrival train screen ?
SP:

You can inquire about arriving trains at NYP at the Customer Service Office in the NJT section adjacent to the Ticket Office during the hours that it is open...

MACTRAXX
SEC Customer Service has Monitors to know exactly where the trains are between Newark and New York. I'm friends with one of the people that work in that office.
 #1336675  by loufah

If the train of interest hasn't yet arrived but will within the next hour or so, you can do this: go to the Departure Vision page for Newark Penn http://dv.njtransit.com/mobile/tid-mobile.aspx?sid=NP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click anywhere on the field that shows your train. This will take you to a page that lists the estimated arrival times at all stations that particular train hasn't yet reached.
 #1336693  by Head-end View

Turns out I shouldn't have compared weekend and weekday schedules. On the weekday schedules the running time in both directions is 18-24 minutes for most trains.