Railroad Forums 

• Arrival times into LA

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1559181  by Bobby S

Been a million years since I posted. Decided to check out a few things since the service changes. My biggest one is why the super early arrival into LA? I mean the TE/SL arrives at 5:35 am. That is crazy! The SWC gets in at 8:00 am which is better but still too early. Why are they leaving Chicago so early? I took all these trains in the 90s and 2000s and you basically got into Chicago early from the east and left later in the day giving you plenty of time to check out the city. Is there a reason for these departures? Used to arrive into LA 9-10 am. Much better time in my opinion.
2nd Q is are you forced to take a night in Chicago? Seems the schedule forces you to. Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks.
 #1559209  by Gilbert B Norman

Welcome back Bobby S after your 502 day "hiatus".

The reason neither #1, Sunset, or #3, Chief, arrive LAUPT during more hospitable hours, is that it's "all hands on deck" to handle the LAMTA Metrolink trains. The facility is now owned by the LAMTA - and "they come first". I haven't been near LA since '91 when the only operator into the then-Santa Fe owned place (a real estate sub Catellus) was Amtrak with maybe "six a day".

Well, at least it's better than the Night Train from Sydney NSW to Brisbane QLD. That train arrives about 65km short or Brisbane at about 3AM. There it's "alright you blokes, up and Adam; you have a bus ride the rest of the way". This isn't some emergency "busteetoot"; its the schedule. Look through "Man in Seat 61's" page to see his choice comments.

But I can't tell you first hand; I've never been "down", although I'm considering it post-COVID (my Niece lives there near Sydney; she's a "dual" with one Passport issued by the State Department and the other by Her Majesty). But somehow, I don't think such a ride is on my "bucket list". Besides, Trip Adviser reviewers who have ridden these State operated services along Oz's East Coast have one word of advice - FLY.
 #1559254  by Bobby S

Thanks for the welcome back Gilbert! I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted a question. lol I knew there had to be more and your answer says it all. But I do remember all my trips out west and enjoyed every minute of the awesome transfer times in Chicago. Different place we live in now. Maybe one day they can figure out a way to make the schedules like they were. Crazy. Going to Sydney sounds like a nice trip. Go for it when it is safe to do so. I will try to think of a few more Qs sooner.
 #1559276  by electricron

Bobby S wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:44 pm Been a million years since I posted. Decided to check out a few things since the service changes. My biggest one is why the super early arrival into LA? I mean the TE/SL arrives at 5:35 am. That is crazy! The SWC gets in at 8:00 am which is better but still too early. Why are they leaving Chicago so early? I took all these trains in the 90s and 2000s and you basically got into Chicago early from the east and left later in the day giving you plenty of time to check out the city. Is there a reason for these departures? Used to arrive into LA 9-10 am. Much better time in my opinion.
2nd Q is are you forced to take a night in Chicago? Seems the schedule forces you to. Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks.
The trains from the east arrive in LA early so passengers could transfer to the Coast Starlight heading north. The Coast starlight departs LA at 10:10 am, so the Chief and Eagle have to arrive earlier for the same day transfer to work. The Chief and Eagle are consistently hours late, therefore an even earlier arrival is needed. Almost every time I have ridden the Eagle, it has arrived in LA after 8 am., and once I was bused in a full bus of transferring passengers from Ontario to Santa Barbara because the Eagle was so late.

Usually most long distance trains visiting Chicago are scheduled to make the chances for transfers in Chicago reasonable. Amtrak’s long distance trains scheduling is basically fixed to allow transfers possible everywhere possible, LA included.
 #1559291  by bratkinson

I've connected from #3 as well as #1 to #14 at least 10 times in the past 15 years or so, give or take. Although the inbound arrivals seem unreasonable, it's made easier by the fact that one goes to bed on Mountain time and gets up on Pacific time, that extra hour makes it tolerable, in my opinion.

However, a problem I DO have with that early hour arrival is that none of the small number of food establishments at the station are open yet. So, I've had to subsist on the Metropolitan Lounge for coffee and some pastry, along with the horde of other passengers from both trains.
 #1559338  by ExCon90

I don't know how it is nowadays, but some time back there were quite a few food trucks at the bumper-block end serving a lot of Metrolink passengers changing trains, but it was counter-intuitive to head away from the ramps to the concourse instead of toward them. I used them a number of times in the morning, transferring from Metrolink to a Surfliner, getting a nice danish and coffee without ever going into the station.