Railroad Forums 

• arrest in Baltimore

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#219802  by kevikens

I heard a story that a railfan was arrested recently for criminal tresspass for photographing trains from the platform of the Amtrak station in Baltimore. Anybody know if this is true and what actually happened ? I thought Amtrak's calendar contest told railfans to actually use stations as places to photograph from.

#219827  by Gilbert B Norman

While I have no knowledge regarding this possible incident, somehow I would wager somebody "mouthed off' to a sworn peace officer.

It appears that part of the well publicized New Orleans arrest of a railfan photographer last August involved "mouthing off'. Even the "Morton Grove Two" incident, in which I have personally known (and will vouch for as a good guy - past President of my NRHS Chapter when I was its Treasurer) one of 'the Two' for 40 some years, there was mention of 'constitutional rights" rather than simply "yes sir, no sir'.

Now what I think is incongruous is that Amtrak sponsors this photo contest, yet fans, who I will presume are "acting in good faith', get challenged by law enforcement engaging in an apparently Amtrak sanctioned activity.

I think some kind of 'connect' between whichever department in Amtrak sponsors this photo contest and law enforcement, especially Amtrak's own PD, needs to be made. At present, such appears to be lacking.
 #219845  by B&M 733

Mr. Gilbert Norman
While you may be correct about the "victiim" possibly having mouthed off. I suggest something else.
In this Post 9-11 world, we now have to do with a newly invented phenomenon, which I have heard referred to as Homeland Stupidity.
Have you been to New York recently, and perhaps been harrassed for what before September 11th would have been considered harmless and normal sightseeing?. The public areas surrounding the Cruise Ship Terminal on 12th Ave is rampant with this, all you have to do is cross one of the newly established INVISIBLE boundaries (I'm talking about SIDEWALKS in some cases!) that you're supposed to know about, and you're immediately a suspected terrorist WITH or WITHOUT a camera.
Heck, I was once hassled for looking at an exhibit in the Nautilus Memorial Submarine Force Museum (Groton CT) for too long!
I'm sure that there are those who will dispute me, but here in the New York area, some people have gone CRAZY and overboard with measures that have little hope of preventing a terrorist attack
 #219852  by Gilbert B Norman

B&M 733 wrote:Mr. Gilbert Norman
Have you been to New York recently, and perhaps been harrassed for what before September 11th would have been considered harmless and normal sightseeing?. The public areas surrounding the Cruise Ship Terminal on 12th Ave is rampant with this, all you have to do is cross one of the newly established INVISIBLE boundaries (I'm talking about SIDEWALKS in some cases!) that you're supposed to know about, and you're immediately a suspected terrorist WITH or WITHOUT a camera.
Heck,
Actually,Mr B&M I'm from New York, Greenwich CT to be more precise.

Your comments regarding the cruise ship terminal come as no surprise; note my comments here. Oh well, at least they have not yet resorted to erecting a barrier around the area to prohibit shipviewing such as they did when the Normandie sank at dock right where the passenger terminal is located today. However, according to one of my books on the Normandie, they did have a grandstand area from which the salvage operations could be viewed.
 #219857  by B&M 733

Ah Yes, the NORMANDIE situation.
This belongs on an Ocean Liner Enthusiasts forum, but in context, the story will be repeated here.
After HOURS of burning and very slowly beginning to capsize, It became obvious that the ship would capsize completely.
The news media was documenting the situation very thoroughly, until the ship reached a list of about 30 degrees. When it became obvious that the ship would capsize COMPLETELY, the news photographers were herded out of the area.
THUS, we lost photo documentation of NORMANDIE's final plunge, however, she sat there for another two years, COMPLETELY capsized, and many photographs of that siituation existed.
With hindsight (which can be 20/20) It seems like the ultimate act of senseless censorship. Perhaps they thought taht after the capsize, the ship could be "righted" in a few hours and then everything would be alright ! LOL

#219869  by Brad Smith

Forgive my ignorance, but what year are we talking about with the Normandie incident?

#219873  by PCook

That happened early in 1942, Brad.

#219927  by walt

The problem with the Baltimore situation is that, for a long time, only ticketed passengers have been allowed on the platforms at Penn Station ( the same is true at Philadelphia's 30th Street Station). It is clear that, in the present climate, NO exceptions are being made. In the Baltimore area, it is probably easier to Photograph Amtrak trains at the BWI rail station. There is no restricted access to the platforms there, and the platforms and tracks are also visible from the outside parking lot. I wouldn't expect things to get any easier any time soon, given Baltimore's proximity to DC AND given the current flap over the potential management of the Port of Baltimore by an Arab owned management company.

#219940  by Ken W2KB

walt wrote:The problem with the Baltimore situation is that, for a long time, only ticketed passengers have been allowed on the platforms at Penn Station ( the same is true at Philadelphia's 30th Street Station). It is clear that, in the present climate, NO exceptions are being made. In the Baltimore area, it is probably easier to Photograph Amtrak trains at the BWI rail station. There is no restricted access to the platforms there, and the platforms and tracks are also visible from the outside parking lot. I wouldn't expect things to get any easier any time soon, given Baltimore's proximity to DC AND given the current flap over the potential management of the Port of Baltimore by an Arab owned management company.
Correct, and the Amtrak official notice of the photography contest contains this express restriction:

"Some stations served by Amtrak trains require advance permission for photography."

#219968  by Brad Smith

Thanks Preston.

#220079  by chuchubob

I took photos from the Baltimore Penn Station platform last May after getting off a train and before going up to the station.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... _29_04.jpg

A northbound Amtrak train came in and I was walking up to photograph the engine when the conductor said that I wasn't permitted to pass beyond the front-most door that was open for passengers. I said that I just wanted to photograph the engine and he said that I could explain it to the police, that for security reasons I was not permitted to get close to the engine. I didn't argue.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... _29_06.jpg

Later I got a couple more shots when I went to the platform to get the train back to Philly.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... 85_001.jpg

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... _29_84.jpg