Railroad Forums 

• ARR control stand

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#67427  by LCJ

First of all -- that's the horn.

I have no idea why someone would wrap one up as they did here.
Last edited by LCJ on Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

#67492  by LCJ

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what does AAR stand for?
Association of American Railroads

http://www.aar.org/

#67493  by DutchRailnut

American Association of Railroads.
The Napkin is used when the rubber handle gets soft and guey from lack of replacement, you don't want to have hand slide of the handle when you need that horn.

#67599  by LCJ

#67766  by txbritt

I'm willing to bet that the horn valve is leaking down at the stem. Wrapping like this won't stop the leak, but it will kill some of the noise, and keep the water droplets in the air from spraying you.

#67853  by TerryC

Great! Thank you for the info

Keep asking keep learning
http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ Still missing in action 11-12-04

#69996  by roadster

not to mention the rubber likes to collect dirt and grime from peoples hands, and gloves. This would help keep my paws a little less foul.
 #71541  by jg greenwood

As the poster said, to cover up the funk. That unit has to be an IC SD-70. They're quickly turning to junk account of being rode hard & put away wet.

#73014  by Engineer

You don't really know whose hands were on that horn before you and where they were...
For me though, its more a matter of comfort.
 #93704  by nickleinonen

jg greenwood wrote:As the poster said, to cover up the funk. That unit has to be an IC SD-70. They're quickly turning to junk account of being rode hard & put away wet.
i've yet to see one of them IC units up here with electric air brakes on it... we've got a few GE's of our own [CN 2200-2205] and i've seen a few NS GE's with the eletrtic air brakes... they had the nice color screens... our cn 2200's have a monocrome orangey yellow & black :(
 #93935  by CN_Hogger

i've yet to see one of them IC units up here with electric air brakes on it... we've got a few GE's of our own [CN 2200-2205] and i've seen a few NS GE's with the eletrtic air brakes...
They're junk, I have yet to meet an engineer that likes them.....about the only nice thing about them is that they are quieter than an SD40-2.
 #94019  by Avro Arrow

CN_Hogger wrote:They're junk, I have yet to meet an engineer that likes them.....about the only nice thing about them is that they are quieter than an SD40-2.
I agree, our crews hate SD-70s (luckily they're mostly relegated to coal trains).
 #96674  by 1st Barnegat

As relates to the AAR control stand, it seems all the controls are aligned for one and only one direction of movement of the locomotive.

This is why, on another post, the engineer wrote "...sitting down and facing front."

But how does this work for a backing movement? Specifically, how does the engineer see where he's going without turning around? And if he's turned around, aren't the controls facing the wrong way?

Is this a "pain-in-the-neck," or what?