Railroad Forums 

• Are some GE loco's 2 stroke?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#468911  by d3crypt

I've heard from different people that some engines like (at CSX we call them) CW4400AC and CW6000AC are 2 stroke instead of 4 stroke.

Is this true? If so, which engines (GE & EMD) are 2 stroke and which are 4 strokes.

Thanks for the info!

#468989  by ATK

No. All GE's (FDL, HDL, GEVO) are 4 cycle engines.

EMD has had only one (that I know of) 4 cycle engine in its history, the 265H engine which is used in the 6000HP SD90MAC. I believe that locomotive was the only application of that diesel engine.

#468993  by MEC407

I concur with what ATK wrote.

EMD is the only locomotive builder in this part of the world to use 2-cycle/2-stroke engines. GEs have always been 4-cycle/4-stroke.

#469114  by EDM5970

All of of the FM production models were 2 stroke. I believe Beloit, WI, is in this part of the world.

#469115  by MEC407

Sorry; I meant locomotive builders that are still in the business of building locomotives for this part of the world. :wink:

#469640  by Allen Hazen

...And, of course, the first Fairbanks-Morse road locomotives were built in...?

Depending on what the original questioner was interested in, a couple of other things come to mind:
---A few GE U25B locomotives were re-engined with EMD prime movers
---Apparently the 645 engines (derived from an EMD 2-stroke design) used on (some? all?) MP36 commuter locomotives were built by GE and not by EMD. ... Since commuter-train operators seem to like (as in: specify when soliciting bids for locomotives) the EMD engine, is it beyond the range of imagination that GE would offer a variant of its Gensis design with a 645 engine?
(NB: This should NOT be taken as a hint that they will: it's just a speculation about a POSSIBILITY.)
 #469820  by EDM5970

Ummmm.......a few short miles West of North East, PA?

Just across the river from my home is a GE 45T on a shortline that no longer has it's Cummins HBIS engines. It has a pair of Detroit 6-71s instead. (I've also heard that a sister company to this RR once put a 6-71 in a Cat. dozer- Ouch!)

#474649  by mxdata

Allen is correct, GE Engine Systems (a component of GETS) in Latham NY sells the 645FZ engine which is an EMD clone. These were used in SOME of the MP36 locomotive production. The 645FZ engine crankcase is manufactured in Poland and the engine reciprocating components and turbocharger are built at the Latham plant.

#474965  by timz

mxdata wrote:the 645FZ engine which is an EMD clone. These were used in SOME of the MP36 locomotive production.
What do the rest of the MP36s use?

#478897  by CN5789

timz wrote:
mxdata wrote:the 645FZ engine which is an EMD clone. These were used in SOME of the MP36 locomotive production.
What do the rest of the MP36s use?
All MPI MP36's use the V16-645F3B which GE licensed the design from EMD the reason for this (Metra and Caltrans specifically) to keep commonality with the existing EMD locos they have. To swap parts since they use the same prime mover also price its cheaper to produce the components across the globe than locally? GO Transit has on property a MP40 now this uses an EMD built V16-710G3B rated at 4,000 hp.
Last edited by CN5789 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #481348  by Newyorkcentralfan

Weren't the Sulzer ASV 25/30 engines in the TE70-4S locomotives that Morrison Knudsen built for Southern Pacific two strokes?

#481744  by GN 599

Speaking of U25B's with 567's. Does anybody know the whereabouts of the 5 ex UP U25's that were done by MK for the Oregon California and Eastern. I know they went to Econorail after the shutdown. I saw a couple of pics of two of them stored in 2001 but that was a while ago. The OC&E used four of them for the daily log train. It was usually about 85 to 100 cars with a 1.8% grade against the loads. 2.2 going down the backside of Bly mountain. I had a amatuer video of them in action but my friends VCR ate it. :(
 #481766  by ENR3870

EDM5970 wrote:
It has a pair of Detroit 6-71s instead. (I've also heard that a sister company to this RR once put a 6-71 in a Cat. dozer- Ouch!)
Heh, that 45-tonner must sound like an old GM bus.

#484176  by bogieman

CN5789 wrote:

All MPI MP36's use the V16-645F3B which GE licensed the design from EMD the reason for this (Metra and Caltrans specifically) to keep commonality with the existing EMD locos they have. To swap parts since they use the same prime mover also price its cheaper to produce the components across the globe than locally? GO Transit has on property a MP40 now this uses an EMD built V16-710G3B rated at 4,000 hp.
There was no license involved - GE simply produces and sells an unauthorized copy of the 645F engine.

#484524  by Petz

MEC407 wrote:
"Sorry; I meant locomotive builders that are still in the business of building locomotives for this part of the world."

Maybe Kolomna Locomotive works in Russia still fabricates Locos based on their copied OP - design.