Railroad Forums 

• Are crew shortages this Bad?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1586909  by neman2

I just heard D3 tell FI-3 at Ayer about 18:30 hrs they would be relieved by "MA -15 out of Mechanicville". I wish I could have recorded the incredulous response from train crew. Several minutes later dispatch informed crew "taxi was delayed and would be an hour late"
 #1586912  by Trinnau

MA-15 (Mechanicville-Ayer) is likely a return of an Ayer-based crew out of the hotel in New York. Maybe there was nothing on the west end for them to re-crew if one of the intermodal trains was delayed, or they were the best available and qualified crew for whatever FI-3 was up to.

I can recall a similar situation where we cabbed an Ayer crew from the hotel in New York to Worcester to take a SEPO up from Burncoat Street. The cab made great time and they took the train up the branch and over to Lowell, cabbed back to Ayer all in 12.
 #1586917  by newpylong

I will do one better. I was on an eastbound heading towards Deerfield out of New York and they cabbed down a Portland crew to recrew us at Buckland.

Hard to make some of the stuff up at that place.
 #1587065  by Engineer Spike

I’ve heard that with the takeover by CSX, and especially the short line potential of the west end, that many have jumped ship. Some guys have gone to Amtrak or the T, among others.
 #1587094  by newpylong

Yes, the crew base on the PAS side has been decimated. The only reason NS is not crewing their jobs is because they don't have enough crews in NY either.
 #1587095  by RigbyRunner

Part of the problem is the pay of other industries in the area has caught up with the railroad industry. A lot of crews have left the railroad industry altogether, took a much smaller pay cut than they would have a few years ago, and in the process got a better work schedule and home life.
 #1587225  by NHN503

Especially with places like 3M in NH, where its up to $32/hr to watch a machine roll paper and have a 4 on 3 off schedule.
 #1587360  by PBMcGinnis

In a couple of years all those who jumped ship early or left the industry will regret it. Those "manufacturing" jobs at 3M and "supply chain jobs" at Amazon will become automated and go away.

Every time one quits early it's more money for Railroad Retirement for the rest of us.
 #1587485  by NHN503

I doubt they will. The amount that looks to stay someplace to retirement is few and far between these days. It's just another part of the career for them.
 #1587592  by GP40MC1118

A friend that lives out on the West End also remarked that last week 16R sat in North Adams for two days. AD-1
is running only once a week. Last Wednesday it went west to Eagle Bridge, came back and worked the branch.
Still sitting in North Adams...six days now...
 #1587612  by J.D. Lang

I also saw the grain train go by the Palmer cam late this morning on the B&A. The crew issues on PAS and NS out of Mickyville must be really bad. CSX seems to be taking over Pan Am by default even w/out the merger approval yet. This merger can't happen soon enough.
 #1588180  by F74265A

New issue of railpace received today claims all future grain trains will take the B&A to Springfield and interchange there with pan am.
The Springfield part makes no sense to me. Pretty sure they would have to swap ends to run north to Deerfield. B&A to Worcester makes operational sense exfept I think the grain trains are pas and not par and Worcester is par interchange