Railroad Forums 

• Are closed Towers ever sold to private investors ?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#325228  by etna9726b

Photos of towers I've seen, look appealing as potential lofts, apartments, etc. If one doesn't mind the noise ;-)

When shutdown, have any ever been sold to private investors (other than museums), or is there too much liability, they're built on existing on railroad ROW with property rights issues, etc.

Just wondering.

#336574  by gprimr1

Honestly, I'd like to know to. I'd buy them up and flip them into rail fan lounges.

#336634  by GOLDEN-ARM

The Lehigh Valley used to sell them. I sold, on eBay in 2004, the receipts, for three different towers, sold from the Valley. Two of them were actually purchased, by employees. The Towers were from Easton, and at least one still exists, after being moved a short distance away, to the backyard of it's purchaser. I recall one near Rosenberg Texas (Tower 17 area) being sold to a museum, or historical society, and they moved it across the mainline, opposite from it's original sight, and it's part of their collection now. I have also heard, from another engineer, that a tower from the CNJ, just west of Excee, was sold, and is part of a home now, without being moved from railroad property. They might be easy to buy, if the railroad is going to demolish them, but moving them, is another deal, altogether.
 #336649  by amtrakhogger

I think RR's are hesitant to sell a property such as tower to private
owners unless the structures are moved off property. Even though it
is a neat idea to convert a tower to a residence, there is a ever present
danger of a derailment that could damged the building and potentially
injure the occupants.

The Delaware Valley Chapter NRHS investgated and made offers to
Amtrak several years ago to purchase the old Morris tower in Morrisville
Pa. The chapter wanted to use the tower for meetings. However,
Amtrak was uninterested due to safety and liability issues because the building is so close to a busy mainline.