Railroad Forums 

• Arcade and Attica Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#5816  by WNYRailfan

How active is the Arcade and Attica Railroad in regards to freight traffic? I know it has an interchange with NS in Arcade. It also has a few feed mills that it serves.

Many people have told me that the reason B&P does not use the Buffalo branch is due to poor trackage conditions.
Well most of the Arcade and Attica trackage is from the 1890's (1898 in Curriers) and it is still in use. Also, the NS connector track is former B&S track. That is very old as well considering most of the Buffalo & Susquehanna track was removed in the 1930's (1937 I think).

Any thoughts?

WNYRailfan

#5856  by nessman

I believe the A&A only moves a few cars at a time with a center-cab switcher 2 or 3 times a week. The line is limited to 10 MPH freight. Much less wear and tear than a busy Class One mainline that typically pulls 50+ cars behind a trio of 6-axle locomotives at speeds in excess of 40 MPH all day long. Additionally, there are issues with washouts and viaduct deterioration along the B&P's main between Machias and Orchard Park.

#6085  by thebigham

The feed mill at N Java has a new contract for freight and regularly receives 10+ plus a week.

Chris