Railroad Forums 

• ARC Tunnel - Revisited (Again)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1260952  by morris&essex4ever

Thomas wrote:What lessons can ARC teach Gateway?
Don't put the NJ taxpayers on the hook for the billions of inevitable cost overruns.
Don't let NY/NYC free ride on a project that will immensely benefit it.
 #1260957  by Thomas

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Thomas wrote:What lessons can ARC teach Gateway?
Don't put the NJ taxpayers on the hook for the billions of inevitable cost overruns.
Don't let NY/NYC free ride on a project that will immensely benefit it.
Sorry, but that was not the REAL reason why Christie killed ARC. Regardless of the "Cost overruns," Christie chose to restore his TTF without raising the Gas Tax. (ARC also no direct track connection into the current Penn Station, thus limiting back-up redundancy for Amtrak trains to Boston, Massachusetts).

What I don't understand, though, is how can people realistically expect Congress to authorize so much money for Gateway--even though pretty much everyone understands that it is needed?
 #1260976  by lirr42

morris&essex4ever wrote:Don't let NY/NYC free ride on a project that will immensely benefit it.
The project benefits New Jersey commuters just as much as those who reverse commute from New York to places in New Jersey. We have discussed the effects (or lack thereof) of people working across the border ad nauseum.
 #1261083  by bleet

The lesson is that no project of this size can survive if all parties -- New Jersey, New York State, New York City, the Port Authority and the Feds -- are not involved. ARC's fatal flaws were created when everyone but NJ dropped out. Then all it took was one person -- Governor Christie -- to shut it down.
 #1261135  by Thomas

ajt wrote:The Port, the Feds and NJ were all in; NJ dropped out. Without NJ there was no project.
1. But, doesn't that make it more difficult for the Gateway Project to become a reality?

2. Where can I get a diagram of ARC's track map/layout? I am especially curious about the Interlockings located in Manhattan between the Hudson River and the ARC Cavern Station...
 #1261164  by ThirdRail7

Thomas wrote:
ajt wrote:The Port, the Feds and NJ were all in; NJ dropped out. Without NJ there was no project.
1. But, doesn't that make it more difficult for the Gateway Project to become a reality?
IF you think this is the case, why don't YOU explain why instead of asking a question you should answer yourself.
Thomas wrote: 2. Where can I get a diagram of ARC's track map/layout? I am especially curious about the Interlockings located in Manhattan between the Hudson River and the ARC Cavern Station...
ARC is no more. The project is cancelled. Arc and Gateway are two different animals. Why are you bumping an old thread that is no longer an idea and has nothing to do with current project?

1. You are a sockpuppet

2. You lack your own thoughts which is why you pose questions without answering them.
 #1261236  by Thomas

Tommy Meehan wrote:New York's MTA also made it plain way-back-when that with ESA and the SAS it had no funds to make available. In other words, they were tapped out. :(
So then realistically speaking, how do fund future trans-hudson capacity expansions?
 #1261270  by morris&essex4ever

I read on the Star Ledger this morning that the Swiss, French and Japanese are willing to build this tunnel for a cost of $3.5 billion over a 5 year period. They will spend their own money so the taxpayers will be spared. It all comes down to NJ and NY being on board with this. What does everyone else think?
 #1261294  by srock1028

morris&essex4ever wrote:I read on the Star Ledger this morning that the Swiss, French and Japanese are willing to build this tunnel for a cost of $3.5 billion over a 5 year period. They will spend their own money so the taxpayers will be spared. It all comes down to NJ and NY being on board with this. What does everyone else think?
Funny, because the Star ledger is against anything NJ Transit!
 #1261678  by Don31

Thomas wrote:How much of the Gateway Alignment will be the same as ARC's?
Very little from what I've seen so far. But Gateway isn't even in Preliminary Design yet, so anything an happen.
 #1261740  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:
Thomas wrote:How much of the Gateway Alignment will be the same as ARC's?
Very little from what I've seen so far. But Gateway isn't even in Preliminary Design yet, so anything an happen.
Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

But do you by any chance know:

1. When Gateway's preliminary design will be completed--and when Final Design is schedule to be completed?

2. What about the overall status of the Design and Construction of the Second Section of the Tunnel Box (towards 12th Avenue)?