Railroad Forums 

• ARC Tunnel - Revisited (Again)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1063390  by Tommy Meehan

michaelk wrote:Price went from like 20 to closer to 50. So now we drive more then take the train...I took my boys to the game today- first time this year- didn't even bother with the train. Rather I drove and then on the way home got stuck in traffic for an hour to travel the first ~5 miles because the Alexander Hamilton bridge and Major Deegan interchange is being reconstructed.
I didn't realize you were a Yankee fan. That changes everything! haha Hey at least your boys saw a good game Saturday. :)

Seriously, I think I know what you're saying, and your comments should be read by everyone in management at NJ Transit. So maybe if there was a one-seat Raritan Line ride to Macy's Basement you'd still be riding on Saturdays? Just as an aside, have you considered driving, not all the way to the Stadium, but to another train station? How far are you from a Midtown Direct station?

My point is, there's probably been very little dropoff in ridership because ARC was cancelled but in the future it might have an impact. A big impact. But I really see that as a ways off.

As for Mr. Boylan's questions, 1) do you have any evidence to the contrary (non-New Jerseyeans had little interest in ARC) and 2) yes if you're up at 4:28 AM reading and replying to a RR.Net thread you don't care about, you probably need professional help. :)
 #1063395  by Patrick Boylan

nope, no evidence one way or the other as to what demographic actually is interested in, will be interested in, or gets or will get benefit from cross Hudson infrastructure. It does make sense, at least at first blush, that the immediate neighbors of anything will be the first to realize impact, positive or negative, of anything.
 #1063398  by Patrick Boylan

Tommy Meehan wrote:if you're up at 4:28 AM reading and replying to a RR.Net thread you don't care about, you probably need professional help. :)
At least I went back to sleep at 10am for a 2 hour nap, woken only for a verizon.com recorded survey telephone call about yesterday's service call to fix my internet connection.
 #1063400  by Tommy Meehan

Patrick Boylan wrote:nope, no evidence one way or the other as to what demographic actually is interested in, will be interested in, or gets or will get benefit from cross Hudson infrastructure.
You mean you have no evidence? :)

Seriously, there has been a HUGE amount of interest expressed in this project (or there was until it got cancelled) at least among people in northern New Jersey. Surely you're not going to deny that?
 #1063426  by Patrick Boylan

I don't think I confirmed or denied anything. I don't have the evidence one way or another to tell who's interested in The The Tunnel, Arc, Getaway, or whatever the name du jour is.
I was just trying to poke a little fun at your comment that we might be able to judge based on posts in rr.net's NJT forum.
Actually I might have some evidence that folks outside the immediate area don't really care about Arc. Much in the way that I had heard no water cooler talk during the 60 years of Boston's Big Dig,
I can't recall any discussion among people here in South Jersey, determined of course by number of WaWa convenience stores. Newspaper articles once in a while, but no discussions.
If you North Jersey folks are so interested maybe you have no other diversions, or perhaps not enough tomatoes, blueberries, or sweet corn in you diet.

I'll add "Rolling Mills of New Jersey" lyrics to the nonsense thread.
 #1063536  by alewifebp

Interestingly, if we were to gauge interest in a project by the number of posts here, then the Lackawanna Cutoff would not doubt be the most important infrastructure project that has ever been embarked in NJ, or anywhere.
 #1067423  by Tommy Meehan

Why New Jersey needed ARC.
Lucy Vandenberg of [i]PlanSmart NJ[/i] wrote:From 1970 to 2009, the number of New Jersey residents who work in Manhattan has doubled, and from 1990 to 2009, about 85 percent of the growth of commuters into NYC was from Northern New Jersey and the western Hudson Valley across the Hudson River.
Now the hope is the Gateway Project. Will it get built? It will need federal support and funding so realistically I suppose a lot depends on who gets elected to the White House in 2012. And 2016 and 2020 and 2024 and......... :)

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/12/0726/2123/
 #1069977  by michaelk

Tommy Meehan wrote:
michaelk wrote:Price went from like 20 to closer to 50. So now we drive more then take the train...I took my boys to the game today- first time this year- didn't even bother with the train. Rather I drove and then on the way home got stuck in traffic for an hour to travel the first ~5 miles because the Alexander Hamilton bridge and Major Deegan interchange is being reconstructed.
I didn't realize you were a Yankee fan. That changes everything! haha Hey at least your boys saw a good game Saturday. :)

Seriously, I think I know what you're saying, and your comments should be read by everyone in management at NJ Transit. So maybe if there was a one-seat Raritan Line ride to Macy's Basement you'd still be riding on Saturdays? Just as an aside, have you considered driving, not all the way to the Stadium, but to another train station? How far are you from a Midtown Direct station?

My point is, there's probably been very little dropoff in ridership because ARC was cancelled but in the future it might have an impact. A big impact. But I really see that as a ways off.

As for Mr. Boylan's questions, 1) do you have any evidence to the contrary (non-New Jerseyeans had little interest in ARC) and 2) yes if you're up at 4:28 AM reading and replying to a RR.Net thread you don't care about, you probably need professional help. :)

I actually live in the Flemington area- if I recall Hunterdon is one of the few (only?) counties without rail service of some kind in the state. So I already have to drive 25ish minutes up 202 to Raritan Station. I could drive maybe 40-50 minutes to NEC or midtown Direct. But once I'm in the car that far I might as well finish the rest of the schlep to the stadium anyway. There are times when I've driven to Hoboken, Secaucus Junction, or even Newark to park and take a train into the NYC, but there needs to be some other factor going on to make those worth it (like I'm meeting someone coming from those directions, or the like)

So a one seat ride to Macy's (and presumably an in station transfer to the B or the D) would certainly have peeked my interest.

But for ARC 2 /Gateway my real dream is a tunnel to Penn which then pops out the east side of the station, jigs under/over the water tunnel and turns hard left to Grand Central where it hooks into Metro North and continues north to their NEW Yankee Stadium Stop. Toss in the wacky dream the Pol's here have to get rail back into Flemington, and for good measure demo and rebuild the high level stations on the Raritan Valley to add back the express tracks, triple track Aldene to Hunter (that's the LV junction on the NEC- correct?), oh and build the flyover at Hunter and THEN I'll be happy. Well probably I'll want them to reinstate the kids for free deal so I can take the great grandchildren with me to the game. Oh and dont raise my fare more than inflation in the mean time. LAUGHING!!!!!

There's really only so much that can be done and seems with budgets what they are it's not getting better anytime soon, so for now it just is what it is.
 #1069980  by michaelk

Patrick Boylan wrote:michaelk, you're quoting Tommy Meehan. Looks like you commited copy and paste without correct cut and made it look like my quote.
Tommy Meehan wrote: As has been mentioned in this thread, there doesn't seem to BE an Amtrak Gateway thread. I don't see one listed at any rate. A topic search on "Gateway" returns no hits. A word search on Gateway in the Amtrak Forum only returned a few posts in the thread about Moynihan Station. (When I've looked at it the discussion doesn't seem to touch on the Gateway plan very much.)

In other words I'm not sure there is an Amtrak Gateway thread. Which strongly suggests by the way, as I mentioned to Michael K, the people who mostly care about all of this are people in New Jersey. (Which is why it's here.) :)

sorry- can't figure out how to edit it to fix...
 #1070007  by yoman82

michaelk wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:

I actually live in the Flemington area- if I recall Hunterdon is one of the few (only?) counties without rail service of some kind in the state. So I already have to drive 25ish minutes up 202 to Raritan Station. I could drive maybe 40-50 minutes to NEC or midtown Direct. But once I'm in the car that far I might as well finish the rest of the schlep to the stadium anyway. There are times when I've driven to Hoboken, Secaucus Junction, or even Newark to park and take a train into the NYC, but there needs to be some other factor going on to make those worth it (like I'm meeting someone coming from those directions, or the like)

So a one seat ride to Macy's (and presumably an in station transfer to the B or the D) would certainly have peeked my interest.

But for ARC 2 /Gateway my real dream is a tunnel to Penn which then pops out the east side of the station, jigs under/over the water tunnel and turns hard left to Grand Central where it hooks into Metro North and continues north to their NEW Yankee Stadium Stop. Toss in the wacky dream the Pol's here have to get rail back into Flemington, and for good measure demo and rebuild the high level stations on the Raritan Valley to add back the express tracks, triple track Aldene to Hunter (that's the LV junction on the NEC- correct?), oh and build the flyover at Hunter and THEN I'll be happy. Well probably I'll want them to reinstate the kids for free deal so I can take the great grandchildren with me to the game. Oh and dont raise my fare more than inflation in the mean time. LAUGHING!!!!!

There's really only so much that can be done and seems with budgets what they are it's not getting better anytime soon, so for now it just is what it is.
Hunterdon has rail service! Whitehouse, Lebanon, Annandale and High Bridge Stations are all in the county. Service is limited though.
 #1070008  by M&Eman

michaelk wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:

Hunterdon Coutny in fact has 4 train stations: White House, Lebanon, Annandale, and High Bridge. Service is limited compared to service east of Raritan, and there is no weekend service, but enough trains run to make it doable for a commute.

Instead of ensuring every little far-flung exurban hamlet has service however, we should focus on improving service in the core of the metropolitan area, including a new Hudson River crossing (hopefully in the form of Gateway), encouraging urban and inner-suburban infill and redevelopment as opposed to spoiling more of our state's countryside with auto-centric subdivisions. The amount of fossil fuels a Hunterdon County to NYC commute burns, whether it is by car or train, is a lot more than a commute from closer in.

#1070623  by michaelk

thanks for pointing out the west of raritan stops- I guess the pol's here probably qualify what they say with some BS like "without 7-day rail service"- They have some beef with NJT that they like to spout off at times- I'll have to pay attention to what exactly they say next time.

Anyway- my post was in gest with the pile of dream projects. hence the "LAUGHING" bit.

But anyway- i agree theres no need to make sprawl - and if you read my other posts you'll see i think spending our limited resources (funds, equipment, even tunnel slots) so NJT gets the most bang for the buck and get more people using transit is clearly wisest. But once that is done and there are unlimited resources then why not live it up and serve everyone? So my dream for 100 years from now is all that so that my grand kids or their kids or grandkids have more transit options so they can own less cars or at least use them less. Even a one seat right from Raritan to NYP (that a tunnel built one day would provide) would be a big improvement.

I live in Flemington area because my office is like 3 minutes from my home and my 2 biggest customers (i work at their sites many days) are in Raritan and Hopewell (in other words 25 minutes either place). I used to live in Aberdeen and loved many of the amenities of being that close in to the city (getting to a ball game by train in an easy/quick manner). But I decided to move where my work was so that i could spend another 1-2 hours each day with my kids. I'm amazed at the people around here that work in the city. I dont work just 8hr days, yet they are gone before i wake up in the morning and dont get home till after I've had dinner with my family- to me I'd much rather live in Hoboken if I worked in the city.
 #1070797  by Ken W2KB

michaelk wrote:thanks for pointing out the west of raritan stops- I guess the pol's here probably qualify what they say with some BS like "without 7-day rail service"- They have some beef with NJT that they like to spout off at times- I'll have to pay attention to what exactly they say next time.

Anyway- my post was in gest with the pile of dream projects. hence the "LAUGHING" bit.

But anyway- i agree theres no need to make sprawl - and if you read my other posts you'll see i think spending our limited resources (funds, equipment, even tunnel slots) so NJT gets the most bang for the buck and get more people using transit is clearly wisest. But once that is done and there are unlimited resources then why not live it up and serve everyone? So my dream for 100 years from now is all that so that my grand kids or their kids or grandkids have more transit options so they can own less cars or at least use them less. Even a one seat right from Raritan to NYP (that a tunnel built one day would provide) would be a big improvement.

I live in Flemington area because my office is like 3 minutes from my home and my 2 biggest customers (i work at their sites many days) are in Raritan and Hopewell (in other words 25 minutes either place). I used to live in Aberdeen and loved many of the amenities of being that close in to the city (getting to a ball game by train in an easy/quick manner). But I decided to move where my work was so that i could spend another 1-2 hours each day with my kids. I'm amazed at the people around here that work in the city. I dont work just 8hr days, yet they are gone before i wake up in the morning and dont get home till after I've had dinner with my family- to me I'd much rather live in Hoboken if I worked in the city.
I've commuted to my job in Newark, from the High Bridge station for the past 14 or 15 years. My recollection of some of the "beefs":
(1) NJT had indicated that weekend service to Hunterdon would start after the construction of the passing siding west of White House was completed.
(2) There was a plan by Hunterdon to have shuttle jitneys (Link style) meet early morning westbound trains so people could 'reverse commute' to Hunterdon. The morning westbound schedule's earliest train is too late to accomplish this.
(3) A couple or so of the Hunterdon trains were eliminated a couple years ago as part of the service cuts.
 #1070810  by Adirondacker

michaelk wrote: ......I used to live in Matawan and used every single ticket myself, took NJCL to every game- it was just so easy and quick.....
That's a reason why people who live near a Metro North or LIRR station don't want ARC built. If the trek from New Jersey gets so bad you stop going to the games it means your ticket is available for people who can get to the games easily. D train from Herald Square or just get off Metro North at the Stadium....