Railroad Forums 

• ARA use of South Buffalo power and end of steam trips?

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#215379  by Mattliverpool

I think the idea of using old South Buffalo units in somewhat of reasonable idea. Yes, there might be weight restrictions. However, there is at least seven units just rusting away. They might not be the best solution, but for the mean time I think those units could solve some of the Arcade and Attica's motive power problems. If the rumors or newspaper articles about economic development in Arcade is true, then a heavier unit is needed for more rail traffic. The A&A should improve track conditions for bigger railcars or tonage. I read that article in "Trains" magazine about bigger or heavier frieght cars and the damage being done to rail lines. I hope the A&A will survive. But, in a market dominated by CSX, NS, etc. I think they must invest know, not later.
I can not figure out why, the federal goverment has stopped steam excursions? Why?
I have a question. How much of the A&A is abandon and from what towns?

Matt

#215408  by stilson4283

Well the A&A got some state money and it might go to track improvements.
Matt wrote:I can not figure out why, the federal goverment has stopped steam excursions? Why?

They didn't stop them they just made it more difficult. EPA rules on emitting standards. Also boiler safety for the public. Also there is a problem with insurance, it costs lots of $$$$.

Chris

#215603  by nessman

Boiler safety is the biggest reason. Steam engines haven't been produced in 50 years.

The A&A was abandoned between North Java and Arcade back in the 50's.

#215794  by Aji-tater

There may be 7 South Buffalo units rusting away but they don't belong to A&A. {There is probably a reason they are rusting away, namely they may all or some of them be broken and worn out.} There was 1 SB unit sitting on A&A for years, it's been trashed and probably has a crankcase full of water. The last I knew the people at A&A were doing a great job of keeping things running on not a lot of money. I'm sure when money becomes available they will do what they can to improve things

Hi

#216174  by thebigham

The 7 South Buffalo units you are talking about have been scrapped. They were stored in North Collins.

Chris

#217617  by nessman

Bear in mind that the A&A is getting $1.2 million from the state for track rehab. I don't have the specifics on how this money will be spent, but one common use of track rehab grant money is to permit 286,000 lb shipments.

At the very least, track rehab will allow the A&A to purchase and run heavier power than the little center-cabs they are now using.

#218976  by ctclark1

nessman wrote:Boiler safety is the biggest reason. Steam engines haven't been produced in 50 years.

The A&A was abandoned between North Java and Arcade back in the 50's.
Between North Java and Attica, not NJ and Arcade.
And I thought it was more recent than that?

#219063  by clearblock

The line was abandoned in 1957 between North Java and Attica due to washouts from flooding of Tonawanda Creek.