Railroad Forums 

• Aquidneck flag stop

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1565097  by The EGE

In several public timetables and ETTs around 1910, I've found references to a flag stop called "Aquidneck" on the Fall River–Newport line. It doesn't appear on any maps and is listed only as a note, so I can't figure out where it was located. In my 1915 public timetable, it is served by a single midday round trip, suggesting it was not a factory or other employee stop. Does anyone have an idea where it was?
 #1565499  by Pat Fahey

Hi EGE
I looked at the New Haven Valuation maps, and I could not find the flag stop either, BUT what I could find the flag stop was between Mileposts 11 & 12, on the line.
Milepost 11 is Portsmouth, RI, and milepost 12 is Coreys Lane, if you put in your search engine
History of the Newport Line, Newport RI, a History should come up when the Old Colony RR owned the line. I hope this is of some help, Pat.
 #1566527  by jamoldover

According to the New Haven 1916 "Official List of Stations" I have in my collection, Aquidneck, RI was 3.90 miles from Newport Wharf, and was the first station on the line. The next station listed is Middletown, at 4.74 miles from Newport.
Pat Fahey wrote:Hi EGE
I looked at the New Haven Valuation maps, and I could not find the flag stop either, BUT what I could find the flag stop was between Mileposts 11 & 12, on the line.
Milepost 11 is Portsmouth, RI, and milepost 12 is Coreys Lane, if you put in your search engine
History of the Newport Line, Newport RI, a History should come up when the Old Colony RR owned the line. I hope this is of some help, Pat.
Pa t - I think you're looking in the wrong place - when measuring from Newport, Portsmouth is listed at 9.47 miles, and Corey's Lane is at 8.40. Since Aquidneck is listed at 3.90, you're about 4-1/2 miles away.
 #1566533  by The EGE

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed! That places it at the end of Brown's Lane. The valuation map even shows a shelter and platform. Given the times of the trains (11 am NB; 1pm SB on weekdays and 3pm on Sundays) I suspect it may have been to serve the adjacent cemetery.