Railroad Forums 

• April Fool's - "First Pan Am Railways Unit"

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#231029  by NaugMOW

Looks like Guilford . . . I mean Pam Am . . . is in for a new unit!!
A guy I know from Northeastern is interning at Norfolk Southern and
thought I might be interested in this.

Former NS #3010 [CR (PRR) #3289] was painted by Norfolk Southern in
the new Pan Am livery. The photo was taken shortly after it was
repainted at NS' Juniata facility. Im told that it is being sent to
GRS/PAR as compensation for MEC 375 that was destroyed in Momence, Il
while paying back hours to NS. He said the blueprints for the scheme
were provided by Guilford over a month ago. I'm also told it is
supposed to be sent north dead-in-tow via NS to CSX sometime next week.

So . . . keep your eyes out everyone!! Looks like this Pan Am loco
everyone has been speculating about really did happen. I'm supposed
to be told when it is in-route so I'll let everyone know in advance.

Here is the photos:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A1

-Chad

#231067  by jonnhrr

This photo is probably bogus. See discussion on Yahoo Guilford Rail Sightings group. For one thing the supposed NS engine number is for a GP40 but this is obviously not (probably a GP38). Also the foliage is suprisingly lush for March in Altoona PA where this repaint is supposedly being done.

#231068  by RailBus63

Unknown photographer April 1, 2006.
Added to the photo archive by Chad Boutet, April 1, 2006.

Ha ha ... April Fool's to you too.

Nice Photoshop work, though.

#231130  by AdamCKach

Living in PA, I can assure you Juniata does not have leaves on their trees yet. While one may be coming, this is a classic 4/1 joke. :)

#231254  by NaugMOW

Okay, well for the half-dozen of you who emailed me shocked and excited about the new Pan Am unit: well . . . it is April 1st.

For those of you who called my bluff . . . I must say I was surprised how quickly you did. I knew the huge flaw was the foliage in the background but I simply couldn't justify spending a lot of time editing it. I made the photo so it looked decent with a quick look, not tough pixel-zooming scrutany. I got my good laugh though, it took Gary all of 6 minutes to email me about it!!

I think only one person guessed the paint: GATX Leasing (GMTX 2629). The unit is ex CSXT 1986 - CR 7921 - PC 7921

Happy April fools everyone!!

-Chad Boutet

#231255  by NaugMOW

BTW, it is in fact a GP38, not a GP40.

-Chad Boutet

#232576  by NellsChoo

I got trapped by that joke. I don't think it is very funny, though... I started telling people about it and now I feel like a fool!

Jonelle
Fool

#232997  by CSX Conductor

Another way of being able to tell that it was a joke is the fact that they probably would not use the exact same number as the unit which it was supposed to be replacing. :wink:

#233126  by NaugMOW

Jonelle, you weren't the only one. It got around all the discussion boards very fast and made it to Guilford . . . oops . . . Pan Am employees the next day!! Interestingly enough, only 2 days after I did it, Pan Am issued a memo to the employees announcing the repainting of locomotives.