Railroad Forums 

• Anything to see near Lebanon NH?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1326078  by MEC407

This June I'll be in Lebanon NH for a couple of days on business. Are there any active/busy rail lines within 30 miles that are worth checking out?
 #1326085  by RJDC85

Right across the Connecticut River is White River Junction, Vermont. That will be the most active location- with NECR, VRS, CCCR and Amtrak trains by the train station.

The Southbound Vermonter is scheduled for a daily arrival at 11:13 AM, while the Northbound Vermonter is scheduled at 6:29 PM daily- as its the railroad, always subject to change!

A little under 40 miles south of White River Junction is Bellows Falls, Vermont. You will see more VRS activity down there if you're looking for that! NECR and Amtrak's Vermonter pass through there as well as PAN AM.

In Bellows Falls, the Southbound Vermonter is scheduled for a daily arrival at 12:03 PM, while the Northbound Vermonter is scheduled at 5:40 PM daily.
 #1326088  by MEC407

Excellent information. Thanks very much!
 #1326170  by NHV 669

White River road freights are going to be nights (NECR). VRS NPWJ's based on reports from Fritz, others, and my own glimpse last year would seem to indicate a later evening arrival, not sure of NB departures. Have never seen the switcher in action, but there are always cars somewhere from one end of town to the other.
 #1326263  by RJDC85

Yes- that would be the Bank Street Yard where you may see switching activity. I have seen some VRS activity there in the early/mid afternoon if I remember correctly.

On a side note- NHV669- loved seeing that engine as a kid in Whitefield, NH. Brings back many fond memories.
 #1326442  by Fritz

MEC407,
June is a ways off, and others have already given you some idea of what there is to see in the Lebanon/White River Junction area. Here's a few more details, all for White River Junction, which is located rights across the Connecticut River from West Lebanon:

Amtrak southbound (1115) and northbound (1826) daily

NECR
Northbound 323 usually through WRJ during early morning hours but may arrive after dawn if running late
Southbound 324 usually through WRJ during early morning hours but may arrive after dawn if running late
Switcher 600 Daily on duty during day (often works yard, WACR interchange, and north to Bethel occasionally)
Local 601 Monday-Friday on duty during night (works south to Bellow Falls)

WACR
Northbound WJNP and southbound NPWJ currently operate on alternate days Monday-Friday
If northbound, locomotives will be tied down near Amtrak station and crew will go on duty in morning (0800 I think), will put train together in South Yard and then head north
If southbound, will arrive in White River in late afternoon or early evening

CCRR
Based out of West Lebanon, crosses river to interchange with NECR (at WACR's South Yard)
As far as I know, they have no regular schedule
They also operate out Claremont Junction to Claremont but, again, I don't know the schedule if there is one

PAS
Rarely, if ever, comes further north than Claremont Junction

I think that is all (at least for now).
Best,
Fritz
 #1326444  by MEC407

Great info. Thanks Fritz!
 #1326527  by Noel Weaver

Let's see White River Junction in 1956 and early 1957 was to me at least HALLOWED GROUND. Trains on the B & M, CV and CP all over the place. Steam still on most of the passenger trains on the CV and on at least a few freight trains as well. Friendly people all over the place, you could always count on good information as to what was where and there were plenty of trains everywhere. Tired? The Coolidge was and still is across from the railroad station and it was and probably still is a great place to stay. Both the B & M and the CV had yard switchers working around the clock too. I have great memories of by-gone days at the "River".
Noel Weaver
 #1326551  by MEC407

Thanks, Noel!
 #1337608  by jbvb

June's mostly gone, but here's what I saw this morning:

NECR switcher headed back to their WRJ engine terminal area from the South Yard about 10:00.
WACR (GMRC GP-40, VTR GP-38) at WRJ South Yard making up a train that included two ex-UP SD-40T-2s dead with spacer cars between them. Seemed fairly close to departing north about 10:45.
Southbound Vermonter crossing the Sugar River trestle in Claremont, NH a few minutes late at 30+ MPH. Not much warning over the traffic noise on NH Rt. 12.
GMRC 405 and two Guilford GP-40s parked & shut down at North Walpole, NH about 1300.