Railroad Forums 

• Anything going on in Sayre Yards?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1270376  by carajul

Anything new in Sayre? The 20+ so yard tracks between the NS main and the GE service area have trees growing between them. The area in front of the pax station were the small yard was for the auburn branch you'd never even know rails were there. The steam engine turn loop track is still there amazingly with a helicopter landing pad and car park in the middle of it.
 #1270445  by lvrr325

NS interchanges there with Lehigh Railway, runs trains north to Ithaca, and whatever GE Railcar gets. Almost a wonder the Ithaca line hasn't gone to Lehigh yet, if the power plant goes to gas all that would be left is the salt mine.

FWIW, the line along the lake would be about the best dinner/scenic train route ever. But I've ridden it, about 1995 or so.
 #1270611  by scottychaos

The large concrete pad that was once the floor of "The big shops" has been used as a steel pipe storage/marshaling facility the past few years,
I assume related to NE PA fracking...Other than that, not much new happening.

There was a story a year or two back that NS was going to build a new crew office building in the area where the LV
engine terminal once stood, across the tracks from the current small crew office.
Then they would donate that small structure to the Sayre Historical Society, who occupies the Passenger station next door.
But I have seen no signs of that project happening yet.

Scot
 #1299427  by Missyg24

lvrr325 wrote:NS interchanges there with Lehigh Railway, runs trains north to Ithaca, and whatever GE Railcar gets. Almost a wonder the Ithaca line hasn't gone to Lehigh yet, if the power plant goes to gas all that would be left is the salt mine.

FWIW, the line along the lake would be about the best dinner/scenic train route ever. But I've ridden it, about 1995 or so.

RUMOR has it Lehigh Railway MAY get the line when the Power Plant changes over to Natural Gas.