Railroad Forums 

• anyone know baltimore md frequencies

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#247570  by ferg

just got a scanner and was hoping to find frequencies for bayview yard in baltimore. anyone know anything about this??
 #672258  by gp40marc69

Which Bayview Yard, CSX or NS? I have the one for CSX Bayview Yard which is 160.5300, but I have no idea what the one is for NS Bayview.

Speaking of frequencies in the Baltimore area, I queried NS on the FCCs site and found four frequencies that were not on the RadioReference database: 160.8600 (which i heard what seemed to be yard ops), 161.3400, 161.4000, 161.505, 160.665, and 161.1300. Does anybody have any info about what frequencies are used for what?
 #672287  by Gadfly

Not necessarily about Baltimore only, but many operations besides Train Operations occur. I recognize 161.505, I believe, as a frequency used on NS by shop forces and MW. You have to remember that there is MUCH more going on on railroads besides "choo choos" and trains! LOL! :wink: Bridges and Buildings/Structures, etc use dedicated RR frequencies as well. Then there are "housekeeping" chores, and supervisors in charge of maintaining camp and kitchen trailers---all may make use of dedicated channels. Others such as Materials Management have frequencies of their own as well, but can operate on the "road" channel when needed The idea is to separate Operating from non-Operating tasks and prevent interference.

One of the HARDEST things I have found is to get people to grasp that railroads are NOT "all about trains" and the running of them alone. Sure, this is the primary reason for their being. But everybody seems to think that there is NOTHING else BUT the trains. Only when one actually works in the industry does he realize just HOW diversified railroads ARE when it comes to all the support and logistics that go to make that train run!

Gadfly