Railroad Forums 

• Anyone interview with NYA in Dec or interviewing this month?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #488053  by notonedime

Just curious if anyone else here interviewed with NYA in December of 2007 or in the past week. I think they made their hiring decision in December for those they interviewed and I assume they intended to start the background processing for those applicants they were interested in before actually contacting them. They stated by the second week of January all interviewees would know whether or not they were selected. I haven't heard anything back even though it's only the first week of January. I'm just wondering if anyone else has. Thanks.
Last edited by notonedime on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#488626  by Scrap em Again

I believe that the new hires have already been selected.

#488749  by notonedime

Yeah I would think so but the question is, have they been contacted already and told?
 #489252  by freightguy

How does one apply for this job, do you have to know somebody? I would like to move some freight in 08! I saw recently some of the same equipment is still kicking around albeit with a few new add ons....

#489320  by notonedime

I believe you missed the application deadline for consideration in early 2008. You had to send your resume to an email address back in November. I sent mine in the middle of November and was contacted by mail to continue my interest in early December. I interviewed the end of December and was suposed to hear back by now or around this time. I've heard nothing which I guess means I wasn't hired. I tried calling last week but couldn't reach anyone and noone has called me back. I guess either I wasn't selected or they're still processing backgrounds for potential candidates and filtering the ones that don't meet their expectations.

#489464  by CJQ

Don't give up hope....Myself and another guy start the 21st of this month.We have RR experience, Me being LIRR qualified. 6 more starting next month with no experience.

#489471  by mutz155

WELL CJQ....IF YOU ARE LIRR QUALIFIED WHY ARE YOU GOING TO THE NYA? PRAY TELL ALSO, EXPLAIN YOUR QUALIFICATIONS..RULES... TERRITORY.... PREVIOUS JOB TITLE(S)....REASON FOR DISMISSAL....DID I SAY REASON FOR DISMISSAL?..I MEANT THE UH THE UH WELL ....WE WILL BE WATCHING! NO FORM D'S OVER!

#489508  by notonedime

CJQ wrote:Don't give up hope....Myself and another guy start the 21st of this month.We have RR experience, Me being LIRR qualified. 6 more starting next month with no experience.
I hear ya but I'm not really in a position to hang on much longer. The NYA came at the perfect time because I was in the middle of wanting to transition careers. My bills are falling way behind and I'm gonna have to move on. I wanted to hold out but I can't get a response from them. So unless the six guys who are getting hired next month with no experience haven't already been notified or reported to NYA, then it looks like I'm out of luck this time around. And that's what I'm trying to make certain of which I'm getting closer to confirming that each day it seems.

Thanks.

#489674  by CJQ

mutz155 wrote:WELL CJQ....IF YOU ARE LIRR QUALIFIED WHY ARE YOU GOING TO THE NYA? PRAY TELL ALSO, EXPLAIN YOUR QUALIFICATIONS..RULES... TERRITORY.... PREVIOUS JOB TITLE(S)....REASON FOR DISMISSAL....DID I SAY REASON FOR DISMISSAL?..I MEANT THE UH THE UH WELL ....WE WILL BE WATCHING! NO FORM D'S OVER!
I"m new to this forum.....Is this muts clown for real...!!
Last edited by CJQ on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#489784  by jayrmli

Good luck in your new position CJQ. Your experience with the LIRR should mean you'll breeze through the NYAR "qualifying" part, meaning you'll pass the LIRR tests fairly easily. Since you were a conductor, the only qualifying challenge for you should be learning to become an engineer.

The real challenge begins when you pass the exams, and your new railroad considers you "qualified" and gives you 10 customers in the time it takes to do 5. They're a little shorthanded right now, so I'm sure they're going to push you along, thinking you have an "edge."

Be easy on the Mutz. He's a good guy when you know him, but he's just a little rough around the edges. He's probably the way he is from his time spent on the NYAR. He used to type in lower case letters before he worked there. :wink:

Jay

#489834  by mutz155

JAY IT IS GOOD HEARING FROM YOU. FOR YOUR INFO MR CJQ, I AM NOT A SUPERVISOR NOR EVER WAS ONE. I HAVE ABOUT 18 YEARS OF SERVICE IN TRANSPORTATION - NOT BEHIND A DESK BUT BEHIND A GLASS WINDOW, A BRAKESTAND, BEHIND SHOVELS DIGGING OUT SWITCHES, BEING ROBBED AT GUNPOINT AND THE JOB YOU ONCE HAD. I NOW AM STILL A GRUNT JUST LIKE YOU EXCEPT I CONTROL THE LIVES OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DAILY WITH MY WITS, A MOUSE AND UNION CARD. BEFORE YOU GO AROUND CALLING PEOPLE NAMES, GROW A LITTLE THICK SKIN. I GET THE IMPRESSION YOU USED THE SAME INTELLECTUALISM WHEN DEALING WITH THE FOLKS ON THE SOMETHING ANOTHER TO BABYLON OR WAS IT THE HAMPTONS? THIS FORUM IS A PLACE TO VENT AND EXCHANGE NOT FOR THE USE OF MENTAL MIDGETS WHO KNOW ONLY KNOW COLORFUL WORDS. FOUR (OR WAS IT SIX) LETTER WORDS SHOULD BE CONFINED TO THE CREW ROOM OR BAR. THE END. Is this better Jay?

#489842  by Fla East Coast Chris

Hmmm CJ didn't you take too much time off and abused the sick leave policy and the railroad fired you????
As for Mutz.. I agree with Jay. The Mutz is a great guy!!!!
Mr R17 as I call him and he knows what I mean!!!!

#489879  by mutz155

ROGER THAT. OUT.

#489898  by CJQ

Fla East Coast Chris wrote:Hmmm CJ didn't you take too much time off and abused the sick leave policy and the railroad fired you????
As for Mutz.. I agree with Jay. The Mutz is a great guy!!!!
Mr R17 as I call him and he knows what I mean!!!!
Oh, Is that what happened ??? Cuz' I was wondering.........See "CS "that is how rumors get started.........!
Last edited by CJQ on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#489968  by jayrmli

It looks like this board is going to get a lot more interesting again. :-D

Seems like just yesterday we were reading a thread titled "Where'd everyone go?"

Jay