Railroad Forums 

• Anybody using a Nikon D3000 or D3100?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#857113  by RailBus63

I don’t own either, but the early reviews on the D3100 consider it a big improvement over the D3000. If you can afford it, it’s probably worth getting the newer technology plus the video capability.
 #857546  by MEC407

The D3100 is a major, major improvement over the D3000.

For more info: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm
 #857737  by Pinewald Station

Thanks for the link MEC...kind of daunting when you come from a point and shoot! They have the 3000 w/a telephoto lens,bag and tripod for about the same price as the 3100 by itself. The 3100 is more camera for sure but I'm just debating what to go for.
 #857841  by MEC407

True, there is a bit of a price difference. If you need a camera immediately and price is of the highest importance, the D3000 would probably be the better option. If, however, you can wait a few months, the price of the D3100 is likely to come down. Eventually the D3100 will be the same price as the D3000; it's just not very fun to wait. :wink:
 #857858  by MEC407

D'oh! In that case -- and I know how annoying it is to be without a camera even for a short period of time -- you probably should grab a D3000 if the 3100 is out of your price range. The prices on the D3000 bundles are very good right now, so at least you'll be getting a good deal. It's not a bad camera by any means (I can't think of any bad DSLRs on the market right now). It will most assuredly be a very big improvement over your point-and-shoot.

If you buy a bundle that comes with the 18-55 lens and the 55-200 lens, make sure that the lenses are the "VR" versions. The non-VR versions are a little less expensive but aren't as good optically. Good lenses will have much more of an impact on image quality than the camera body itself.
 #857867  by Pinewald Station

Thanks for the advice....I know I need a VR lens because I am not as steady as I used to be.. :-D OT..I spent my honeymoon in the Belgrade Lakes area up in Me...loved it...wish I could get back...saw some CP action...
 #858224  by MEC407

I've never visited that area of Maine, but I've heard it's quite beautiful. :-D The CP action must have been fun to see... Alcos and MLWs?

Regarding the D3000, I took a peek on Amazon.com and one of their third-party vendors, Cameta Camera, has a D3000 bundle that includes the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses, a bag, a memory card, an extra battery, and a few other items. Price is $699. Looks like a pretty good deal. Here is the link if you want to take a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-3-5 ... 46&sr=8-15

I've ordered gear from Cameta via Amazon and didn't have any problems.
 #858422  by RailsEast

Aahh, I thought I might find you here, Mike! I agree, Cameta Camera is a good place to do business, much like B&H Photo and Adorama. The Cameta site lists a D3000 & 18-55mmVR new for $496.95 (!). That's what happens when a new model is introduced, the previous model drops considerably in price. One thing to keep in mind, there are many 'factory refurbished' items out there; when it comes to higher-end electronics, I try to spend the little extra to get 'new'. Just my .02 worth...........
I know what it's like to spend $$ on photo gear....I wish you luck in the difficult "decision-making process"....... :-)
Chris
 #860014  by Cadguru

I shoot professionally with Olympus, but know people who shoot nikon.
A friend has the D3000. It really is entry level. One thing I did not like when using it is if you want to do flash photography, the (gasp) pop up flash will not work in burst mode. Only single shutter release mode.
Something minor but something to consider.

DPREVIEW CONCLUSION:
D3000
Conclusion - Pros

Excellent detail and resolution at low ISO settings (especially in raw mode)
Very capable AF system, including 3D AF tracking, on a par with much more expensive DSLRs
Versatile and fun retouch options including in-camera raw processing
Effectively unlimited shooting in JPEG mode (with ADL turned off)
User-friendly ergonomics, without sacrificing control
Good build quality for the price - no creaks
Active D-Lighting helps recover the maximum tonal detail from tricky scenes
Reliable exposures, with and without flash (albeit a little bright)
Excellent exposure compensation range of -+5EV
Good battery life for its class
Refreshingly conservative approach to high ISO noise reduction (at default settings)
View NX software hugely improved over Picture Project (Not as good as Capture NX2 though)
Built-in AF assist lamp
Competitive pricing
Conclusion - Cons

Unreliable white balance under artificial lighting
Slight tendency to overexpose in contrasty conditions
No Live View
Screen resolution slightly too low for checking accurate focus
Very little control over high ISO noise reduction
No front control dial
No depth-of-field preview button
No exposure bracketing
No in-body stabilization (although VR is included in many of Nikon's current entry-level lenses)
Luminance noise becomes a problem above ISO 800
Slightly soft JPEG output at default settings (but this is far from unusual)
Screen-centric interface won't appeal to everyone
No AF support for non AF-S (or third-party equivalent) lenses
No GPS (via Nikon's GP-1 accessory) support

The D3100
Has a new sensor
Movie mode (yawn)
Live view mode
 #860046  by MEC407

The D5000 and the D3100 are fairly similar in terms of features. The biggest differences are:

The D3100 is somewhat smaller and somewhat lighter (if you have big hands, you might prefer the D5000; if you have smaller hands or want to keep weight to a minimum, you might prefer the D3100);

The D5000 has a tilt/swivel LCD screen (useful for LiveView but not much else);

The D3100 has 14 megapixels, compared to the D5000's 12 megapixels (this is a very minor difference that you'll probably never notice in your images).

They're more similar than different, really. I'd go for whichever one you can get for the lowest price. They're both great cameras and either one would be a step up from the D3000.