Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#509851  by jp1822

Any hopes for new summer VIA routes this year?

As much as I have heard that their might be some hope for a reinstated Bras'd'Or in the future out in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton) due to revitalized freight traffic on this route than when the route was considered for abandonment (when VIA pulled out of this service back in 2002 or so for the second time), I am certainly not holding my breath!

#509999  by TrainDuNord

There is a study going on at VIA for reinstating the Montreal-Sherbrooke line. The final report is due in March. I don't know if service would be available this year though.

#510237  by Ken V

There's nothing in the works for this summer as far as I know. In addition to some chatter about adding service to Montreal-Sherbrooke and Moncton-Edmunston, there's a recent buzz following last week's federal budget about resurecting the Toronto-Peterborough commuter run that was cut in 1990. None of these will start up this year, if ever.

And, despite the reprieve experienced by the line through Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, there is little prospect of VIA resuming the Bras D'Or. Like several other attempts on VIA's part to expand services, it didn't make the cut due to poor and declining ridership more than anything else. It seems even the extra summer trains (93/94), added between Toronto and Niagara Falls for the past two years, will not be running run this year.
 #511024  by jp1822

VIA would have benefitted of operating the Glen Frasier car for afternoon wine tastings as something unique to offer on this train to/from Niagara Falls - selling it as a package deal. Relying on Amtrak's Maple Leaf to/from Niagara Falls is night and day compared to what VIA *could* offer.

#514248  by marquisofmississauga

Although the extra trains to Niagara Falls are not yet showing on Reservia, it appears the "Bike Train" will return this summer:

http://www.biketrain.ca/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=29

As noted on the "biketrain" site, VIA does not sell tickets for the passenger + bike special fare, but of course non-cycling passengers may purchase fares at the regular prices. Last year the train ran daily for the summer season, but the baggage car for bicycles was operated on only a few of the trips. This summer will see far more availability of the baggage car.

As far as the operation of Glenfraser for wine-tasting, I recall last year the announcement of that service wasn't until May or thereabouts, so there's still hope.

#532089  by marquisofmississauga

VIA's Personal Timetable feature now shows the extra Toronto - Niagara Falls trains as operating from 27th June to 29th Sept. During that period, #93 departs Toronto daily at 1000. Number 94 departs N.F. at 1415 except Sat. and Sun. and #694 departs at 1700 on those days.
 #660183  by briann

As reported in local news media (9/04/2009) in North Bay, ON, there will be another Bike Train this year - between Toronto and North Bay. Here's a summary, since nothing has appeared on the Ontario Northland website yet.

"Started by Justin Lafontaine, the Bike Train has been running for two summers between Toronto and Niagara Falls, getting avid cyclists and their bikes out of the city during summer weekends.

This summer, with the help of a $91,100 grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Lafontaine will develop a pilot project to bring Toronto cyclists to North Bay.

The program, expected to start in early August, will see the Northlander train from Toronto take on an extra baggage car with enough room to hold 56 bikes.

The results from surveying passengers last year showed cyclists had a lot of interest in travelling to Northern Ontario. Lafontaine said they wanted to expand their program where trail infrastructure already existed.

Lafontaine said they plan to start selling tickets for the pilot weekend in the next month."

Sorry about the lack of a URL - newspaper website is down.
 #660255  by buddah

marquisofmississauga wrote:VIA's Personal Timetable feature now shows the extra Toronto - Niagara Falls trains as operating from 27th June to 29th Sept. During that period, #93 departs Toronto daily at 1000. Number 94 departs N.F. at 1415 except Sat. and Sun. and #694 departs at 1700 on those days.
Anybody know what equipment there going to be using ? I could only wish it to be renaissance cars. but my gut tells me stainless steel Budd equipment.