Railroad Forums 

• Any new customers on the horizon for NYA?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #168212  by Legio X

Any new customers on the horizon for NYA? Also, how do new customers sign on with NYA- are they approached by NYA's marketing people, or do they contact NYA?

#168436  by jayrmli

Why yes, there is!!!

DiCarlo Foods in Farmingville/Holtsville is in the process of reconfiguring their business to double their capacity AND add a rail siding. They are currently going through considerable expense to fill enough land to put a main line switch in (which apparently they have already paid for).

When you pass Manhattan Beer in Wyandanch, you'll notice they too are also expanding their building in anticipation of a switch being installed.

Jay

#168439  by BMT

Jay, is the Manhattan Beer distribution center in Brooklyn still a client?

#168450  by rb

Oh boy, the next flurry of new customer questions!

What is diCarlo going to get? Nonperishables?

Last I heard Manhattan was still active at 2 locations, on the Bay Ridge and the Bush. Too bad Coke in Maspeth couldn't follow their lead.

Rob

#168585  by tushykushy

Wait just a second....

Didn't DiCarlo "relocate" back in the late 70's? That warehouse used to supply quite a significant amount of grocery stores on the island. I'm in the grocery business myself. I'm not 100% positive on the name but there used to be a big warehouse right near Levittz that got railservice back in the day.

I also do believe there was both perishable/nonperishables delivered.

#168647  by mainline

I was at DiCarlo recently. Official business. The rep(VP) didn't tell me much but he did say the rail siding is a go. The construction roads are in.

#169625  by SwitchMonkey

LIES! ALL LIES! There are no new customers coming, for if there were, there would be funds available to increase personnel allocations. Since management deemed that 0,2,2,2,2 was the best possible offer (below CPI-W for the Northeast Urban areas), it therefore follows that there will be no increase in revenues due to additional customers.

BTW, the new switch on the central branch just east of Wellwood DEF is pretty looking, too bad it leads nowhere and points in the general direction of a hole in the ground.
 #169698  by freightguy

I hope this helps

This is my freind he worked in costumer service, train and engine serive, and also as a yard clerk!

(718)928-2321

Please call after 10 pm currently employed on third trick. Usually pretty helpful with everything and should entertain any question about new costumers!

#169707  by Knife-Switch

Pretty daring..... calling him a friend that is...if you're talking about the peson I think.....

Don
As the best selling author of "Penile Implants: A New Rise in Life", Don spends most of his
daylight hours on the book signing circuit. Not only is his gifted voice recognized by screaming
teenaged rock fans of Long Island, but his written word is an inspiration to men the nation over.
Those of less adequate size gain their inspiration from the personal stories of implant
recipients.

FOR THE RECORD THIS IS NOT CHARACTER ASSASSINATION AS YOU CAN SEE THIS INFO IS POSTED ON THE WEB SITE OF A WORLD FAMOUS BAND

http://www.saifimusic.bizland.com/crack ... a/don.html

#169804  by Sir Ray

SwitchMonkey wrote:LIES! ALL LIES! There are no new customers coming, for if there were, there would be funds available to increase personnel allocations. Since management deemed that 0,2,2,2,2 was the best possible offer (below CPI-W for the Northeast Urban areas), it therefore follows that there will be no increase in revenues due to additional customers.
Perhaps it's something like the LIRR or NJT, where each passenger costs more to handle than earned in fare revenue :P
BTW, the new switch on the central branch just east of Wellwood DEF is pretty looking, too bad it leads nowhere and points in the general direction of a hole in the ground.
So, what structure is supposed to fill that hole?

#169949  by KilltheGP10

DIDN'T I SEE THE GUY IN THE PICTURE IN THE GIANT SHOPPING CART AT THE BEGINNING OF THE JACKASS MOVIE???

#170779  by Sir Ray

So yesterday's Newsday had a decent sized article about Huttig Building Products coming to Long Island, specifically an former American Tissue building in Happague. Now, before anyone gets excited, I checked on the map and this facility (on Plant Ave) is directly north of the L.I.E on the Smithtown/Islip border, and a fair distance from the LIRR mainline, so there is no siding to the area that I can picture.
Anyone know any more about this than what Newsday said, in particular as it pertains to the NY&A (e.g. why did they pick a site with no direct rail access, especially if they will recieve bulk amounts of building products; and would they be able to create/use any transload facility nearby - note Nearby in this case does NOT mean Port Newark, NJ, regardless of what CSX may think)
 #170788  by mwichten

The Hauppauge Industrial park is within close proximity of the mailine, just a quick shoot down 111 to the team track in Islip.

I know this thought is quite a bit of a stretch, but the old Pilgrim Psychiatric center is just on the other side of the expressway, maybe someone is actually thinking ahead here.......

Another thought is that they could really transload anywhere regardless of where theire headquarters is, as long is was practical to make deliveries within a reasonable distance. For example, offload in speonk to make deliveries on the east end. Offload in St. James to serve western suffolk or the north shore in that region. Most of the building suppliers use delivery trucks with forklifts hanging off the back, so it would be just as easy to transload almost anyhere (provided there is sufficient clearance) as it would be to make a delivery.

#170876  by badneighbor

Happauge Industrial to Islip team? not likely, that trip is long and torturous, and there isnt much room in Islip for loading or unloading. No freight sidings are nearby on the main. their choice of location wasnt the best for RR access.

#170894  by mainline

NYA Rail access not. I'm sure they're planning to truck in off NS in nearby New Jersey.