Railroad Forums 

• Any Buffalo To Syracuse Videos?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#33728  by charlie6017

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm interested in all of this tech talk. I used to do a lot of video editing in high school on some professional decks dontated by the local cable company. I've got tapes of raw footage that someday may become a railfan video... someday!

-otto-
Otto, you should do it! I have been having more fun doing this than I ever imagined. It can be somewhat time-consuming, but I love it. I spent some money for the video cam, computer and accessories, but I hope to make it all back and then some in the long run--but it's well-spent in my opinion. What format are your tapes on?

#33779  by WANF-11--->Chaser

sd80mac wrote:
WANF-11--->Chaser wrote:
They're titled "Conrail's Chicago Line Vol. 1 and Vol 2"

I have them on VHS. Nice to put on every year or so. Very enjoyable.
Thank you!!! I thought my comment went "deaf" on readers' eyes!

How about that BIG TIME SMOKER by one loco dragging a coal train at DeWitt yard???

ken
COUGH COUGH!!! What a sight, not much to breathe if you were filming...LOL....and I dont think the diesel shop responsible for the unit would be too proud. :o)

#33889  by SimTrains

Hey thanks guys for all the tips! Just last week I found this new vhs tape "Along The Water Level Route" Buffalo NY to Syracuse NY. It is by Derail productions. The entire tape was shot between spring 2003 and spring 2004. So I guess this is the most up to date tape you could possibly buy. It runs about 2 hours, and over all pretty cool. One small gripe I have with it is that some of the shots are of the whole train! I prefer to see only the units, maybe a few cars, and the end. Unless it is some type of special. Ya know, if you've seen one, you've seen em all. Maybe you guys like seeing the whole things, but not me. Expecially when the train is barely moving. LOL
But, over all, a great tape! :D
Last edited by SimTrains on Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#33910  by charlie6017

charlie6017 wrote:Well............I am glad you asked! I am just putting the finishing touches on a non-narrated video I created myself, from Bayview NY to DeWitt Yard in Syracuse. My footage was shot from around April 2003 until March 2004. The latter part was shot with my new Canon MiniDV and my earlier footage was w/ a Sharp VHS. You will notice the difference. The DVD version is a 2 DVD set and the VHS version will be one tape. She runs about 1 hr 45 min. Email me with any questions if you wish. [email protected] ..........it's in my profile. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! Charlie
LOL...........SimTrains, that was the tape I made that you are talking about. I am glad you liked it, and yes I agree It's not always good to shoot long trains, but I did do some mods to it and shortened the tape up just a smidge. I'm learning as I go..........

#33913  by SimTrains

OHH, LOL, small world, stupid me - now that I look back on this topic I see that you have in fact been describing the tape to us. Where can I pick up a copy of the DVD version of your southern tier footage? I baught "Along The Water Level Route" at Niagara Hobby in Cheektowaga, but I didn't recall seeing your other tape there. Thanks![/quote]

#34097  by charlie6017

Hello,
I have submitted the "Southern Tier" tape and DVD to Niagara Hobby and they're reviewing it now. I have hopes that they will have 'em up on the shelves in 7-10 days, hopefully. I will post when I deliver the videos to them.

#36435  by charlie6017

I delivered a few of the "Springtime on the Southern Tier" videos to Niagara Hobby so they should be on the shelves.........

#36441  by Schooltrain

Charlie, for those of us not living in Western NY, where is Niagara Hobby and do you know if they will mail copies of the video? Or, can a railfan deal directly with the up and coming Cecil B. deRail ( :P ) and buy directly from the source?

#36481  by charlie6017

Hi Schooltrain,
Niagara Hobby is located on Union Road (Rte 277) in Cheektowaga just south of the Union Road-Walden Ave intersection. It's on the west side of the road just before the CSX overpass. I also have submitted tapes to Ridge Road Station near Holley, Despatch Junction in East Rochester, J&R Junction in Liverpool but they are still in the process of reviewing them. K&K Hobby in Utica has a few on their shelf. However, I will send you an email!

Update 7/23/04--

I do want to take the time to say that these videos I have made did take considerable time and effort to produce, edit, etc. I do have captions put in for whatever location I was at the time so the viewer will know where the video was being shot at that particular time. I did not narrate as I do not like to interrupt the "natural" sound. I realize that I am not Pentrex or Trains On Location and that I cannot compete with them; however, I do consider my movies "worthy" of selling and I do price them fairly so that I do believe they will sell.

#38327  by roadster

Hey Ken, did you also notice that on the end of both tapes is the same dimensional train west bound with a military vehicle and 2 large square objects. The Buff-Syr. tapes shows it passing the old Dewitt Amtrak, and the Selk.-Syr. tape shows it arriving at Minoa by the overpass. Great tapes. They have also done a more recent tape since the CSX takeover, I forget the name as I haven't got it yet.
Charlie, I have been trying ti fabricate a clamp type camera mount so I can get some cab shots but haven't figured it out yet. Not all Loco's have the same setup inside so figuring what clamp and reach are needed is difficult. Send me an e-mail

#38379  by sd80mac

I do recall the dimensional train, but I didn't realize that they were the SAME one!

About clamp! NO NEED FOR THAT! Just get me on the board and I will take the videoshot! :D

ken

roadster wrote:Hey Ken, did you also notice that on the end of both tapes is the same dimensional train west bound with a military vehicle and 2 large square objects. The Buff-Syr. tapes shows it passing the old Dewitt Amtrak, and the Selk.-Syr. tape shows it arriving at Minoa by the overpass. Great tapes. They have also done a more recent tape since the CSX takeover, I forget the name as I haven't got it yet.
Charlie, I have been trying ti fabricate a clamp type camera mount so I can get some cab shots but haven't figured it out yet. Not all Loco's have the same setup inside so figuring what clamp and reach are needed is difficult. Send me an e-mail