Railroad Forums 

• antenna trouble

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#261004  by trevor macpherson

the atenna in my room wont pick up the railroad from as far away as my dads will. the scanners are the same and the antennas are. Whats happening???from my room to the kitchen where they both are is almost 10-15 feet

#261028  by keeper1616

My guess is walls or location - radio waves are just that - waves. they go up and down, left and right (railroad ones very about 1.87 meters in any direction) try moving your scanner about 2 feet or so and see if it works.

More likely though is that there are more walls in between you and the railroad. (or tvs, computers, microwaves, etc) stuff that will hinder the waves.

My solution: get an external (or glass-mount) antenna and mount it outside on the railroad side of the house. Then run wire to where you want your scanner to be.

Not the best solution, but it will work better.
 #261060  by Ken W2KB

trevor macpherson wrote:the atenna in my room wont pick up the railroad from as far away as my dads will. the scanners are the same and the antennas are. Whats happening???from my room to the kitchen where they both are is almost 10-15 feet
Try swapping the two scanners and antennas to see if there is any change. That will help determine if the scanner and/or antenna is at fault. If not, your room has more attentuation from walls, wiring, perhaps foliage, etc. An outside antenna will perform better.

#261116  by EdM

and then there is multi-path cancellation.....which is exactly that, a signal arriving via different paths (one directly, one off a mountain, or filing cabinet, or whatever, arrive out of phase and cancel). Of coarse "multi" means "many", and that many signals all combine to do what they will at your antenna. BTW, although (for simplicity assume only two) if two signal arrive in phase, the power is only doubled, if they arrive out of phase they can cause complete cancellation...
Then we have capture of the reciever by a STRONG off frequency signal.... Attenuation is of cause in the equasion, but cancellation more likely. And on and on and on.....Move the antenna a coupla feet... The best answer to your question, wait for it,: "because". Ed

#324921  by trevor macpherson

now if I have a coaxel coated antenna with my BC350A and its well coated could I run this outside or bad idea???

#324926  by EdM

you can coat an antenna/or coax cable with just about anything without a problem. well, would not use metallic based paint, but varnish er sumpin like that is OK. Ed

#324941  by trevor macpherson

so it wouldnt hurt it being outside???

#324982  by EdM

coax is plastic outside, only the UV from the sun will bother it and that takes many years.. metal antennas will in time form dielectric (rust) coating, the rf goes thru it and travels merrily on its way..

#324987  by trevor macpherson

Ok Thanks!!! Now how do I get it outside via by window.

#324999  by pennsy

Hi,

The outside antenna is the best way to travel. Additionally, the highest point that you can mount it is also desirable. A roof mounted antenna is the best way to go. Maximum gain, least amount of possible blockage etc. And as has already been stated, coaxial cable is the way to go.

By the way the same goes for your TV antenna.

#325004  by EdM

you drill a hole in your window, below the glass.. the (movable) sill has plenty of meat, but be sure do drill it high enuff from the bottom to clear the fixed sill or you will end up with 1/2 or less of a usable hole. BTW, drill the hole, then let the wife notice it and the explosion take place, it is a lot easier to look stupid, at least you end up with the hole.. been dere,done dat.. Ed K2LCK