Railroad Forums 

• Another trace of the B&M in Lowell is gone

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#548480  by TomNelligan

While in Lowell yesterday for my first Lowell Spinners game of the season, I noticed that the two-block section of long-abandoned and disconnected B&M industrial trackage along Perkins Street by the ballpark, next to the Lawrence Mill, had recently been ripped up as part of current renovation work on that building. It had been cut off years ago by the construction of the Tsongas Arena and recently had been largely buried under dirt and vegetation, but at least it was still there.

Downtown Lowell once had an incredible network of trackage, only a small part of which is preserved by the Nation Park Service for their trolley. Check out the track map in the B&MRRHS combine if you're in the neighborhood for a picture of what once was.
 #548907  by Tracer

I work for a utility company that ripped up the old switch that was under the pavement next to the old railroad bridge between the tsongus arena and lawrence mills (that was about 2 years ago). We had an old map of that area and there were spurs/street running everywere.
 #548952  by b&m 1566

With the planned trolley expansion we might see them run down Perkin Street.
Is there an internet site with the railroad layout of Lowell? I've seen only sections of old maps showing the tracks and stuff but never the entire city.
I know the Boott Cotton Mill had 3 tracks at one time. One for coal which is where the National Park service stores the trolleys, one ran down in front of the two towers (a dummy track was put in, in the late 80's early 90's by the parks for looks) and there use to be an elevated track on the north end of the south mill (south mill is the building you see behind the Boarding House Park stage across the canal).
Check out the top picture to see what I'm talking about.
 #549215  by b&m 1566

Yes, the tracks that go in front of the four white towers are fake they don't even have ties under them. I'm not sure what they used to anchor them down other than the pavement that is around them.
 #553318  by Otto Vondrak

TomNelligan wrote:Downtown Lowell once had an incredible network of trackage, only a small part of which is preserved by the Nation Park Service for their trolley. Check out the track map in the B&MRRHS combine if you're in the neighborhood for a picture of what once was.
I am constantly amazed by the dense network of branches and sidings that once existed in this city. Hopefully some will be preserved if they decide to further extend the demonstration trolley through town. When was the majority of trackage abandoned? I assume as the mills shut down, the sidings were no longer needed.
 #906907  by michaell

This may be considered a new thread, but it does have to do with lost traces of the B&M in Lowell. I am
looking for pictures, etc. of the former Lowell Depot which stood kind of near where the current train
station is, it was probably at the intersection of Thorndike and Middlesex Street. When I was a very small
child I do remember seeing my first steam locomotive there - it was scary! Can anyone help - or,
at least, point me to where I might find pictures,diagrams or specifications? I am hoping to build a
model of it for a train layout.
 #908422  by BandM4266

michaell wrote:This may be considered a new thread, but it does have to do with lost traces of the B&M in Lowell. I am
looking for pictures, etc. of the former Lowell Depot which stood kind of near where the current train
station is, it was probably at the intersection of Thorndike and Middlesex Street. When I was a very small
child I do remember seeing my first steam locomotive there - it was scary! Can anyone help - or,
at least, point me to where I might find pictures,diagrams or specifications? I am hoping to build a
model of it for a train layout.
You may want to check with the Boston and Maine RR Historical Society. They have a large collection of pictures in their archives and may have all the info that you need.