Railroad Forums 

• Another Rockville pic from above....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#262489  by dwil89

Took a daytrip to Harrisburg last Friday and hiked in to a mountaintop vantagepoint of the Rockville Bridge and shot this pic of an Eastbound local, powered by a set of ex-Conrail SW1500's http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=149243
 #262612  by AmeriKenArtist

Thank you very much for sharing! Where did you start your journey up the mountain?

#262647  by bwparker1

Nice shots Dave!

#262678  by glennk419

Great shots, Dave.

Those pups in the first picture had to be screamin'.
 #262703  by dwil89

AmeriKenArtist wrote:Thank you very much for sharing! Where did you start your journey up the mountain?
Drove up Roberts Valley Road, which is a right turn off Front Street as you drive North after passing under the Bridge...A mile and a half drive uphill will bring you to a wide spot where a sharp right turn onto a paved single car road will lead you uphill toward the radio transmitter towers...drive up this road for about a quarter mile and park by a hairpin left turn and hike back along a trail which is not well defined right now with weed growth and you'll end up at that spot....
Last edited by dwil89 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#262704  by dwil89

glennk419 wrote:Great shots, Dave.

Those pups in the first picture had to be screamin'.
They were making some noise, though the train was running at restricted speed over the Bridge...

#262828  by BM6569

I have seen some pictures of the rockville bridge and in the picture, there is an old bridge support with a statue of liberty on it. Was it part of a railroad bridge? Also, did the railroad cross the river up by where route 322 crosses it? It looked like there were some old bridge supports in that location. I was driving up the river towards 80 the other day.

#262860  by choess

The pier with the Statue of Liberty on it is from the old Northern Central bridge between Marysville & Dauphin. There was never a railroad bridge across the Susquehanna at Duncannon. Remains of the Pennsylvania Canal?

#262905  by dwil89

BM6569 wrote:I have seen some pictures of the rockville bridge and in the picture, there is an old bridge support with a statue of liberty on it. Was it part of a railroad bridge? Also, did the railroad cross the river up by where route 322 crosses it? It looked like there were some old bridge supports in that location. I was driving up the river towards 80 the other day.
The piers with the Statue of Liberty on it are in fact from the Northern Central...If you look at the Rockville Bridge pic, you will see remains of supports angling off to the right from the present bridge toward the West Shore...they are the original bridge supports...The original PRR Rockville Bridge was a wooden single track structure, followed by an iron or steel double track bridge which was then replaced by the present stone arch structure. around the beginning of the 1900's.

#263007  by Alloy

Nice pictures, David. I have not seen any shots of this bridge that I can recall. I know it from the Pennsy calendar art that I saw years ago.