Railroad Forums 

• Another question about stripping paint

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1353746  by bill8106

I know this question has been asked at least a thousand times but now I'm stuck. I'm trying to strip Tamiya paint off of two Kato models (and it took the usual amount of elbow grease to strip the Kato-applied paint off the models in the first place). I put two coats of Tamiya on them about six months ago. I've always had success with 91% alcohol but the Tamiya paint is not loosening after soaking for three+ weeks! I'm nervous using brake fluid and my LHS doesn't carry any paint strippers.

Any other remedies or ideas will be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if Tamiya paint has a reputation for being stubborn like this?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
 #1354160  by jwhite07

Any time 91% isopropyl fails to do the job, I always resort to the "nuclear option" - Testors E.L.O.

It's nasty and messy stuff but it's always worked when other things don't. I have never had issues with attacking plastic or anything. You don't have to soak things in it - just brush some on, wait a bit, and scrub with a toothbrush.