Railroad Forums 

• Another fatality in Newark, DE

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#233738  by Trains

CSX has done a lot to try to raise awareness, as well as the University of Delaware. Unfortunately this continues to happen almost every year. From another story that was posted on udel.edu, I cannot understand how this person could actually have gotten hit. He was near the crossing, but was trespassing, but still, with all the noise I don't know how someone would be hit. Are fatalities like this common near other college campuses? I go by the tracks every day, except where I live at UD, we have an underpass to walk under, I wonder if pedestraian walkways will become more common now after this tragety.

#233822  by roadster

Doughtful, even if the walkways were built, it's educating the public to obey the laws and utilize the walkways. Unfortunately people will always take the shortest route regardless of the hazards. Some actually find the danger a exciting and close calls a rush.

#233857  by CSX Conductor

Roadster is correct. Whether people cross at a legal crossing, ie grade crossing or pedestrian crossing, or if they tresspass and cross wherever they want, they need to be alert and aware of the chance that a train could approach at any given moment. Basically remember the three L's:

Look
Listen
Live
:wink:

#233871  by Trains

the one thing that bothers me is that according to that article I posted, the mayor of Newark suggested that the railroad move its operations out of the town. It almost sounds like they are trying to make it sound like the train is at fault.