Railroad Forums 

• Another anthracite RR - DL&W

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#983168  by gsmith36tow

I am new to this forum - can anyone tell me why the Lackawanna RR (DL&W) is not included in the list? Using anthracite was certainly it's main advertising factor. Remember Phoebe Snow, who never got her white clothes sooty?
 #983194  by scottychaos

Yes, the DL&W is usually considered an "Anthracite road"..thats true.
but its not lumped into this forum simply because there is a separate Erie-DL&W-EL forum on railroad.net.

There were once separate forums for many of the railroads here, LV, CNJ and RDG had their own forums..
a decision was made (unnecessary, in my opinion) to lump many of them together into this one forum..
but Erie-DL&W-EL was deemed "large enough" to remain in their own forum..

So DL&W is not here simply due to specific decisions of the RR.net powers that be, and because the DL&W
makes more sense in a combined Erie-DL&W-EL forum that it does in this forum..those are the only reasons.
has nothing to do with DL&W not being considered an "Anthracite road"..

Scot
 #984488  by glennk419

Is it just me or does the activity seem to have dwindled since the original, individual forums were "Conrailed" into the group forum?
 #984849  by Franklin Gowen

glennk419 wrote:Is it just me or does the activity seem to have dwindled since the original, individual forums were "Conrailed" into the group forum?
No, it's not just you, Glenn. Many of the formerly prolific members decided to "vote with their feet" after Otto ripped up the existing anthracite railroad forums and welded them together 15 months ago. They might still login to this website on occasion, but if they post anything at all it doesn't seem to be posted here. :/

I can't say that I'm surprised by the response. At the time I had hoped that Otto's action might stimulate participation here, but instead that move has stagnated it. It's clear that our active membership valued the consistency of the then-existing separate anthracite forums much more than they valued having everything consolidated. I'm certain that in a purely technical sense it's possible (though inconvenient) for this site's leadership to un-scramble this egg, but I don't know if "un-Conrailing" everything might be too late to attract lost membership back.
 #985124  by Bethlehem Jct.

A more pragmatic reason why the Lackawanna isn't part of the Anthracite forum: Pulling out the DL&W specific threads from the already existing EL thread would be painful.
 #985127  by westernfalls

Franklin Gowen wrote:...but I don't know if "un-Conrailing" everything might be too late...
But, in the end, Conrail did get un-Conrailed.
 #985704  by Franklin Gowen

Bethlehem Jct. wrote:A more pragmatic reason why the Lackawanna isn't part of the Anthracite forum: Pulling out the DL&W specific threads from the already existing EL thread would be painful.
Agreed; that would be a protracted and messy operation. Possible, but difficult.
westernfalls wrote:
Franklin Gowen wrote:...but I don't know if "un-Conrailing" everything might be too late...
But, in the end, Conrail did get un-Conrailed.
True. On this website, will art mirror reality? "Only the Shadow knows." :-D
 #986139  by Roadgeek Adam

Franklin Gowen wrote:
glennk419 wrote:Is it just me or does the activity seem to have dwindled since the original, individual forums were "Conrailed" into the group forum?
No, it's not just you, Glenn. Many of the formerly prolific members decided to "vote with their feet" after Otto ripped up the existing anthracite railroad forums and welded them together 15 months ago. They might still login to this website on occasion, but if they post anything at all it doesn't seem to be posted here. :/

I can't say that I'm surprised by the response. At the time I had hoped that Otto's action might stimulate participation here, but instead that move has stagnated it. It's clear that our active membership valued the consistency of the then-existing separate anthracite forums much more than they valued having everything consolidated. I'm certain that in a purely technical sense it's possible (though inconvenient) for this site's leadership to un-scramble this egg, but I don't know if "un-Conrailing" everything might be too late to attract lost membership back.
I remember when the original proposal happened, it was proposed to merge ALL railroads that made Conrail into one forum (what a gigantic mess that would be). However, as a common contributor to the Erie / Lackawanna / EL boards, tis already dead enough. Besides in retrospect, they deserve to be together.