Railroad Forums 

• Annual CNE Historical Tour

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1022267  by Bernard Rudberg

This note is for anybody planning to join us for the 2012 version of the CNE Historical tour.
Hi, We are almost a month away from our trip and I am trying to get a feel for our final head count. At this point we have one bus full. If you could let me know if you are going or not going, it would help us greatly to plan our bus and printing needs. We are meeting at the Canaan depot, driving to Norfolks Haystack mountain and Stoney Lonesome, then east to the Whiting arches and furnaces, finishing the morning at the Canaan yards. Will will have lunch at the depot and Pete MacLachlan will show slides and talk about his experiences operating the Lakeville branch and the attempt to keep the branch running. In the afternoon, we will proceed west to State Line and Millerton. We had to pay additional fuel charges last year so we had to increase the fare to $55. thanks,

Joe Mato
*************************************************************************************

The 2012 tour will be on Sunday
April 1st (rain or shine).
We will depart from the parking lot of the train station in Canaan, CT
The 2012 tour will cover the CNE between Norfolk, CT and the NY
State line at Millerton plus Copake in NY.
The exact routing is subject to change if we run into any last minute
problems or find a new way to get the buses into a small space. Due
to the narrow roads and lack of suitable parking in much of the general
area of our tour, some locations can only be shown from the bus
or in photographs. We will show you as much as we possibly can.
As usual, everybody will get a copy of the 2012 CNE Tour guide
book. We have a lot of ground to cover so we will have coffee and
buses will roll at 9:00.
The cost of this year's tour will be $55.00 per person and
payment should be made out to: Joseph Mato CNE 2012
Be sure to include your E-Mail address so we can contact you if we
need to. If you don't have E-Mail then include your phone number.
Send it to:
JOE MATO-CNE 2012
62 WOOD ROAD
REDDING, CT. 06896
Any money that is left after expenses will be used as "seed money"
for next years trip.
As we did last year, we have two buses with 55 seats each. In past
years we sold all seats and had a waiting list so don't wait too long to
send in your reservation. Please note that any request for refunds
must be received thirty (30) or more days in advance of
the tour date. If you can find a replacement to take your bus seat,
that's OK just let us know who it is. We have to know who to let
onto the bus when the tour starts. If you can't find a replacement
then we may have somebody on the waiting list to suggest but we
can't refund money that has already been spent on tour expenses.
 #1033462  by Bernard Rudberg

Some responses on the 1 April CNE tour.
Joe,

Just a word of thanks on a job well done. I thought the day was very well-organized and the locations were very interesting. The day helped to fill in a lot of the blanks regarding my knowledge of the CNE. And the book --- what a treat! It looks like it's packed with a lot of great information. I also enjoyed hearing from the gentleman (Pete?) who actually worked on the line and the other professional railroaders.

It was my first tour with your group, but it certainly won't be my last.

Bob

Gentlemen:
Thank you very much for another excellent trip.
I learn more and more each year!
Scott
Story:
Train buffs hit rails in Canaan
Historic Union Station backdrop for annual event

CANAAN -- Lee Beaujon's passion for railroads is so strong it brings him 3,000 miles across the country each year to tour the landmark sites along the old Central New England Railway line.

On Sunday he was among the nearly 80 railroad buffs who stopped for lunch at the historic Canaan Union Station before starting the second leg of a trip that took two busloads to sites in Norfolk, Salisbury, Lakeville, Millerton and Copake, N.Y., before returning to Canaan.

For more of this story, click on or type the URL below:

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2012/04/ ... 632011.txt