Railroad Forums 

• An Indiana Full Crew Law question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#11279  by Hoosier Joe

I know at one time our state had the full crew law,trains over 75(?) cars had an extra brakeman.So when an Erie Lackawanna train entered the state did the EL try to keep train length less then 75 cars or did they just add the Extra brakeman ? Thanks for the answers. Most EL trains I watched were less then 80 cars. Joe G

#73327  by mel

The brakeman was used on any train over 69 cars in the state of Indiana.The NYC used the man all the way from Toledo-Elkhart.
The PRR from Richman to the Ohio line.They would catch a train back to Richman or deadhead.
I don't know about the PRR from Ft.
Wayne east.The company could pul the brakeman off at any point when the train was down to 69 cars as long as they provided transportation home. MEL

#73568  by Hoosier Joe

Mel,thanks for the reply. Joe G.

#76103  by shlustig

On the NYC Toledo West, the 3rd Brakemen's Pool ran Elkhart to Bryan, where there was a bunkroom facilitiy. We slowed down to drop the man off eastbound or pick him up westbound.
 #78458  by jg greenwood

I recall in 1973 stopping at the Wabash River west of Terre Haute on the old PRR m/l waiting for the 3rd man to arrive. IIRC, Indiana and Arkansas required the 3rd man, any other states?
Last edited by jg greenwood on Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

#79224  by shlustig

At one time, New York also had a full-crew law.

#83002  by Conrail Cleveland East

Arkansas did have a full-crew law.Don't know if it's still in existence.