Railroad Forums 

• An idea for the Upcoming Valentine's Day!

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#206173  by SnoozerZ49

Hey everybody,
here is a thought. We often talk about the people we work with on the railroad. We like to give advice to prospective "cubbies" so that they are prepared for the days and years ahead. On occasion we also touch on the impact of our career on the loved ones we leave at home.

Maybe this Valentine's Day we should make sure we tell our loved ones how much their support means to us. My days away from home, missing family events, and running out the door for extra starts (OT) do take their toll.

My bride of twenty one years soldiers on when I am away. She "keeps the home fires burning" and deals with issues that normal couples probably deal with together. Words sometimes go unspoken but I suspect she understands the "wanderlust" that effects me. In fact our wives and girlfriends have to grow to understand and accept us for what we are. Despite all the complaining many of us still have railroading in our blood. And for the most part they accept that.

I have big plans for Valentine's day this year but I'll probably be called for an extra that night. Oh well.
 #206244  by Carmine

SnoozerZ49 wrote: I have big plans for Valentine's day this year but I'll probably be called for an extra that night. Oh well.
That's why I'm a railfan and not a rail employee.
Nontheless, it's glad to see love is still in the air! :wink:

#206277  by GOLDEN-ARM

I have big plans for Valentine's day this year but I'll probably be called for an extra that night. Oh well.
That's what "marking-off sick" is for. I would not let the job "own" me as a married man. Single is different, but the job, great though it is, isn't worth a wasted life, or relationship. Just my opine, however. My vanity plate, while working on the UPRR was "MRK OFF". Enjoyed by everyone, except the MOP, MTO, SUPT,............. :P

#206346  by SnoozerZ49

I understand your point Golden Arm but with one in college, and two teenagers still at home that could eat the side of a barn off you take work when you can get it. :-D

My biggest worry is that when the "golden years" come along that we both have our health to enjoy life a little more. No one is going to have to push me out the door so to speak to get me to retire but we will both look back at the years of struggle as what we had to do to keep our family in a warm house, fed, educated and aware of the blessings in our lives.

Yup, the railroad is a demanding mistress but compared to the uncertainty in a lot of people's work lives these days, it's not a bad living.
 #206406  by 2nd trick op

Back when I was dating, I used to occasionally remark to my lady friends that I didn't know how tall their rival was, but she was definitely four feet, eight and one-half inches wide. :wink: