Railroad Forums 

• An historical question re: NYC to Boston in 1924

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1188479  by RobertLee

I'm writing a book and was hoping someone might be able to help me find detailed information about train travel between New York City's Central Terminal and the city of Boston in the summer and fall of 1924. My questions, in particular, are as follows:

1. What was this train called?
2. How much did it cost?
3. How fast did it go?
4. What timetable was it on? (And how might I obtain a copy of that timetable?)
5. How many cars did it have?
6. What did it look like on the exterior?
7. What did it look like on the interior?
8. How many and what kinds of cars did it have?
9. Where in Boston did one go to catch this train?
10. Where in Boston did one disembark from this train?
11. How comfortable were the seats and in what were they upholstered?
12. What was the train's route?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be grateful if anyone answering this would notify me of such by sending an email to me at [email protected]
This is very important to me, and thank you very much for considering my request.
Rob
 #1188763  by Allen Hazen

I think maybe you should re-post your question on the New Haven forum: the New Haven and the New York Central both ran trains from Grand Central Terminal in New York, and both served South Station in Boston, but whereas the direct route between the two places is the NewHaven's main line, with frequent (approximately hourly?) service, getting from New York to Boston by New York Centralwould have been... an adventure only a railfan would embark on! (New York Central to Albany-- again, this is the main line, with frequent service-- then change trains to ride the New York Central (actually, its subsidiary the Boston and Albany-- in 1924 the locomotives, and probably much else, would certainly have been lettered for the B&A rather than the NYC) to Boston (via Pittsfield, Springfield and Worcester).
The New Haven would have offered a choice of routes: the obvious one would have been along the "Shore Line" through New Haven, New London, and Providence RI, but there would have been a choice at New Haven: you could have changed (I don't know exactly what the system would have been in 1924, but certainly later -- I was familiar with this as a child in the 1950s -- many New Haven trains from New York would be split at New Haven, with some cars proceeding on east on the Shore Line and some going up the Inland Route) to the New Haven's "Inland Route," with the New Haven taking you up through Hartford to Springfield, Mass, with at least some trains then continuing as Boston and Albany trains to Boston!

Cost-- and probably comfort of seating-- probably a bit variable depending on whether you went basic or first class.
 #1188804  by Noel Weaver

In the early and mid 20's there were at least three different routes between New York and Boston all offering through service between the two end points. The main route was the Shore Line via New Haven and Providence with very frequent service, the best equipment and the fastest schedule. The second route was via New Haven, Hartford, Springfield and the Boston and Albany from Springfield to Boston. This route also offered through cars including dining and parlor cars as well as coaches and the through cars lasted until the early 50's. The third route was via Waterbury and Willimantic which offered a couple of through trains with coaches, parlor cars and a broiler buffet. This through service ended for the most part later in the 20's although through service remained between Boston, Hartford and Waterbury until August 19, 1955 when Connecticut was hit by massive flooding all over the state and a railroad bridge in Putnam on this route was damaged and not rebuilt.
Noel Weaver