• Amtrak Vouchers

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Anybody use vouchers often? I have a few that expire later this year, and I have a theory. If one would use a voucher to reserve a train a month or two off, then cancel, would the refunded money go to a new voucher and the expiration clock starts over again?
  by Ken W2KB

Tadman wrote:Anybody use vouchers often? I have a few that expire later this year, and I have a theory. If one would use a voucher to reserve a train a month or two off, then cancel, would the refunded money go to a new voucher and the expiration clock starts over again?
That happened to me several years ago. May still be a work around. The year is probably primarily to terminate dormant accounts so rebooking sets a new clock running for folks still interested in Amtrak travel.
  by Greg Moore

I believe that should work (and believe I've done the same in the past.)
  by Dick H

I do not know if voucher policy is different on the Downeaster service, which is technically
a contracted service operated by Amtrak for NNEPRA. Last Saturday, Train #692 was sold
out and the conducted announced to passengers waiting on the platform that vouchers would
not be accepted, only tickets and reservations.

On a recent Downeaster thread, it was reported that some undated vouchers were given out,
but the conductor initially refused to honor them, which was no fault of the passenger. At
any rate, it would seem that if you are given a voucher for any Amtrak route, make sure'
you get your ducks in a row to use it...
  by bratkinson

I've had changes in plans necessitating rebooking a number of reservations in the past couple of years. The most recent of which was just today, when I booked another trip rather than the Coast Starlight for next Friday which has no hope of getting from LAX to PDX.

Actually 'using' the voucher(s) while doing an online booking is a tad tricky. After filling in the voucher number and clicking 'add voucher', if it's OK, you'll get no confirmation other than a blank voucher number box again. For a change, I had 2 vouchers to 'use up' because I also cancelled my trip out of PDX that was on a separate reservation. After clicking the 'add voucher' again, I had to 'discover' the need to click the little box below (I forgot the text that goes with it) to bring up the 'list' of vouchers available. I simply 'x'd both vouchers and also filled in my credit card info as I had to add some cash to the pot. 8-10 months ago, I was in a hurry and did the add voucher routine, but failed to check the little box afterward and filled in my credit card knowing I had to add some then, too. That's not what happened. The entire trip went on the CC. I think they should change it that if you've added the vouchers, they will automatically be applied to your next purchase(s). Amazon does it that way, and it works well.
  by jobtraklite

Dick H wrote:I do not know if voucher policy is different on the Downeaster service, which is technically
a contracted service operated by Amtrak for NNEPRA. Last Saturday, Train #692 was sold
out and the conducted announced to passengers waiting on the platform that vouchers would
not be accepted, only tickets and reservations.
It is certainly different from the rest of Amtrak. I presume we are talking about what Amtrak calls an eVoucher, i.e, one received for canceled travel. It is merely a means of payment for a reservation/ticket, similar to a credit card, AGR points, etc., and NOT the ticket itself that you would present to the conductor on the platform.

Outside the Downeaster service, the conductor wouldn't normally know how you paid for the ticket.