Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Southwest Chief Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1585294  by John_Perkowski

$23M for the project, DOT ponied up $2.7M.

Did BNSF, Amtrak, Kansas and Colorado assure the remaining funds? My concern is Kansas, the legislature is exceptionally conservative and has shot more than one Amtrak project down in flames.
 #1623462  by Jeff Smith

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/am ... ?_amp=true
Amtrak’s Southwest Chief among long-distance routes in line for improvements
Under the proposal, the Southwest Chief line would undergo signal modernization on parts of the route that pass through Colorado and New Mexico.
 #1623532  by John_Perkowski

The real lede is buried in that article. Amtrak is trying to get the funding to return the Sunset to daily running after 60 years of being a tri weekly.
 #1623583  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:16 pm and the stop in Phoenix?... That's going to be an expensive price tag.
If I remember correctly (doing track research for the novels), Union Pacific has to lay track back down again as they took it up half-way between Phoenix and Yuma. I just took a fresh look off Google Maps Satellite View and it looks like a mess.

That said, is Phoenix Union Station still in good condition? They'll need to lay down some more track there to get Phoenix/Tuscon service going and provide a freight bypass.
 #1623589  by eolesen

Not sure the track was taken up, but I'll leave that in the Sunset thread.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1623598  by John_Perkowski

Train 3? The one that left Chicago yesterday the 7th?
It’s being annulled in Albuquerque.

Here’s the tweet…

#1623599  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:10 am Train 3? The one that left Chicago yesterday the 7th?
It’s being annulled in Albuquerque.

Here’s the tweet…

https://twitter.com/amtrakalerts/status ... bd2ro4D5DA
Insert obvious Bugs Bunny joke here... :grin: