Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak's Bacon Interlocking

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#416052  by gprimr1

I have no idea where to post this.

Where is Bacon Interlocking?

#416093  by Jtgshu

Im sure there are a few other "Bacon Interlockings" in the world, the one i think you are referring too is on the NEC at MP 51.0 in Maryland, inbetween Perryville (59.4) and Elkton (44.9)

#419015  by gprimr1

Oh yeah, sorry, it was Amtrak's Bacon Interlocking I was curious about. I read that SEPTA crews are certified through to Bacon and was just wondering how close that was to Baltimore.

#419307  by DutchRailnut

Bacon Interlocking is at MP51 about 9.6 miles into Maryland
 #419326  by amtrakhogger

Bacon Interlocking in located in the town of Northeast, MD and is
controlled by CTEC 3 train dispatcher at 30th St. Station in Phildelphia.
 #420427  by RRspatch

gprimr1 wrote:I have no idea where to post this.

Where is Bacon Interlocking?
Bacon Interlocking is located at MP51 on the Philadelphia to Washington line.

It is named after the nearby Bacon Hill and was created as part of NECIP to replace "Northeast" interlocking.

A map showing the layout of Bacon can be found here -

http://www.blockstation.net/AMTK-Phila- ... F/F-2.html

Scroll to the bottom right hand side.

ESH
/former Amtrak NEC train dispatcher

#423690  by gprimr1

Is Amtrak/PRR the only RR to name it's interlockings?

I noticed when on ex-NYC water level route, they were called "CP-XXX" instead of interlocking.

I think it's interesting that they have names for them.

I went to Phily this weekend and I finally found "River" that I hear on the scanner at work alot.
 #423700  by Ocala Mike

All of the Long Island Rail Road's interlockings are named; of course, that could be a throwback to its PRR subsidiary days.

#423821  by RRspatch

gprimr1 wrote:Is Amtrak/PRR the only RR to name it's interlockings?

I noticed when on ex-NYC water level route, they were called "CP-*" instead of interlocking.

I think it's interesting that they have names for them.

I went to Phily this weekend and I finally found "River" that I hear on the scanner at work alot.

The system for indentifying Interlockings and Contol Points varies from railroad to railroad. At BNSF it's a mix of names and CP numbers. Recently however several CP's have been given names of recently retired officials.

Amtrak's practice on the NEC was to use names for all it's interlockings. The original CETC software only allowed names of up to 8 letters. This is why several interlocking names got shortened when CETC was cut in -

B&P Jct. to Charles
Union Jct to Paul
North Point to Point
Havre de Grace to Grace
Perryville to Perry
Principio to Prince
Northest to Bacon
Iron Hill to Iron
Marcus Hook to Hook

As far as where certain interlockings are located at, try this link -

http://www.blockstation.net/index.html

NOTE: The map at this link is somewhat out of date. Changes have occured at several of the interlockings since it was created.

#423859  by gprimr1

I always wondered why the interlocking names sometimes sound weird when written. They were just shortened.