Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Requests Conditions on CSX/Pan Am Merger

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1579368  by John_Perkowski

Read the full article at Trains Magazine.

Brief quote:
Amtrak is asking the STB to impose seven conditions on any approval of CSX’s acquisition of Pan Am.
Since the conditions are the meat of the article, please do not post them in bulk.
 #1579395  by STrRedWolf

In summary, Amtrak's saying "We don't trust CSX, especially since they said one thing and now say the opposite. We've caught them pull this **** before. Ether order them to do better or kill the merger."

MBTA wants CSX to give up dispatching to them as well.

I'd look at all the third party filings. Things are going to get interesting.
 #1579400  by Gilbert B Norman

Material equally relevant here as at the Pan Am Forum where originally posted:
Oh, and while we are at it, Amtrak, how about paying the full opportunity cost of the train laden with high value traffic that cannot be operated over the B&A owing to your self centered demands.

When are you and your advocates going to learn the the Class I rail system done not exist for your convenience; it is here to handle freight traffic and provide a financial return to its investors?
 #1579406  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:17 am Material equally relevant here as at the Pan Am Forum where originally posted:
Oh, and while we are at it, Amtrak, how about paying the full opportunity cost of the train laden with high value traffic that cannot be operated over the B&A owing to your self centered demands.

When are you and your advocates going to learn the the Class I rail system done not exist for your convenience; it is here to handle freight traffic and provide a financial return to its investors?
Mr Norman

While I as an Amtrak engineer don't mind following a COFC that's zipping along at 60mph and catching the occasional yellow. Did this every Sunday night on P064xx between SYR and CP169. Here are a few WTF moments. Sitting at the beginning of a work area or in a parade of trains for the better part of an hour. Why? I dont know. Guess I didn't see the big picture.
Following a loaded coal train for 60 miles where is the high priority in those loads.

Being held for light engines for close to an hour.

Personal favorite following an westbound with a FRED failure, restricted t0 30mph. that was 121 miles of restricted proceed or stop for me. The crew even told the dispatcher they would lay back so I could get around them. When I finally did it was on a siding that had a 10 mph restriction on it for 2 miles.

This sir is the type of hooey CSX pulls on a daily basis out there. When Conrail had the railroad things were different. The statement was made when the boys from down south rook over " we are gonna teach ya'all how to railroad".

Plenty more when it comes to over all condition of the physical plant but I dont have time for a war and peace type novel
 #1579419  by Railjunkie

R.B.Phillips wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:44 am Railjunkie, you weren't my engineer of 48 back in 2015 when it got stopped in a CSX clog around CP263 for 45 minutes then ended up giving one of the freight crews a lift to Rome NY for their van, were you?

R.B.
Done that a few times out there too. Sometimes they would ask us for the help, must have been back when they were having trouble with the cab company. '15 was on a regular Hudson assignment. Had to have pretty good seniority to hold a decent assignment on the Mohawk. Its no fun out there now. I keep my qualifications/rules up to date that's about it. Have no desire to play trains out there anymore.