Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Releases Harry Potter Locomotives on NEC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1621124  by Jeff Smith

https://railfan.com/amtrak-releases-har ... es-on-nec/

I checked the date; not an April Fool's joke lol.
The first of four Amtrak ASC-64 electrics with a livery wrap promoting a new Harry Potter show on Broadway was released on Friday, the railroad announced.

The first one, Amtrak 641, features images of characters from the new show “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” on the side of the locomotive. According to the railroad, the four wrapped ASC-64s will run between Washington D.C., New York and Boston from today until June 25.

#1621125  by Jeff Smith

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/04/amtrak ... c-to-life/

Guess it's true!
Travel to New York City on specially wrapped train and earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points

NEW YORK – Amtrak is the official rail transportation partner for the Broadway show “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” now playing at the Lyric Theatre in New York City. As part of the collaboration with the show and Audience Rewards, the official rewards program for Broadway, Amtrak Guest Rewards members, Broadway enthusiasts and Wizarding World fans can earn and redeem Amtrak Guest Rewards points on tickets to the show. It’s free for Amtrak Guest Rewards members to register with Audience Rewards.

In addition, four specially wrapped Amtrak locomotives will power Northeast Regional service operating on the Northeast Corridor (NEC) between Washington, D.C., and Boston between April 28 and June 25. The eye-catching train wrap features the show’s iconic logo along with Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Draco Malfoy and the next generation of wizards: Albus Potter, Scorpius Malfoy and Rose Granger-Weasley. The swirling clock will give you visions of time travel as you ride through the illustrious landscapes of the NEC. While this train won’t be stopping at Platform 9 ¾, you’ll be sure to have a magical journey on the NEC.

In “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” Harry’s head-strong son Albus befriends the son of his fiercest rival, Draco Malfoy, which sparks an unbelievable new journey for them all – with the power to change the past and future forever. The audience will experience a mind-blowing race through time, spectacular spells, and an epic battle, all brought to life with the most astonishing theatrical magic ever seen on stage. The entire theatre has also been transformed with hidden surprises to discover around every corner.

With Amtrak Guest Rewards, members enjoy exclusive benefits and an overall enhanced travel experience, both on and off the train. Members can earn points towards Amtrak reward travel, hotels, car rentals, upgrades, gift cards and more. Reward travel begins at just 800 points. In addition, Amtrak also has two credit cards, Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard® and Amtrak Guest Rewards® Mastercard® for added benefits and greater loyalty program rewards.

Customers are encouraged to save via Amtrak Saver Fares, which offer low prices on the Northeast Regional, and other NEC service trains, Amtrak’s See NY and Save discount when booking travel online within the Empire State at least five days in advance of travel or via everyday discounts for kids, seniors, military groups and more. Amtrak trains offer free Wi-Fi, Business Class seats, the freedom to use phones and electronic devices at all times (no “airplane mode”), a café car, ample leg room and large spacious seats.
 #1621127  by Gilbert B Norman

Like it or not, this commercial practice (as distinct from those honoring us Veterans) is becoming commonplace. There is at least one Superliner Coach assigned to #5-6 Zephyr that is promoting condos near Winter Park.

Brightline has at least one set (Bright Yellow was the one I observed) shrink wrapped promoting "The Palm Beaches". I fully expect more.

Overseas, the OBB has RailJet sets promoting TV Newscasts, the Salzburg Festival, and many, many another. However, I cannot recall noting any DB equipment "wrapped".

While it would appear that Amfleets would be difficult to shrink wrap, you can fully expect to see the smooth side Avalea Acelas and the Airo Amfleet replacements shrink wrapped with advertising material as they enter revenue service.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1621151  by John_Perkowski

OFFS.

If Amtrak really wanted to promote this show, and have gazillions of foamers paying damn good Money to ride it, theyd lease and bring over a British steamer and consist and run it Philly to NYC and back.

They’re getting a pittance for a wrap, when they could make a mint.
 #1621156  by eolesen

<snark> The global warmers would protest the hat trick presence of a fossil fueled climate killer containing lead paint and asbestos, and the Port Authority would ban the locomotive east of Newark Penn because it isn't dual mode....... </snark>

And now it's off to recreate the Hogwarts Express for my granddaughter in OpenRails.... all available at Trainsim.com if you look hard enough....
 #1621157  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:08 pm OFFS.

If Amtrak really wanted to promote this show, and have gazillions of foamers paying damn good Money to ride it, theyd lease and bring over a British steamer and consist and run it Philly to NYC and back.

They’re getting a pittance for a wrap, when they could make a mint.
Can't be done. NY State Kaufman Act back in 1903 bans steam engines coming into Manhattan... which includes Penn Station. But, I do have an alternative from Harry Potter lore:
  • Locate a replica of Great Western Railway GWR 4900 Class engine in the US, or fund restoration of an existing 4900 Class to ship across to USA. Do the same for the consist.
  • Contact NJ Transit for access to Hoboken
  • Contact a ferry company for Hoboken to Manhattan, with bus to the theater... er... Hogwarts. (First movie had a boat ride from train to campus).
  • Run from PHL to Hoboken under steam, with connecting ferry service.
Not only do you get the foamers, you get cosplaying kids as well... and that scene was big. There's word of a "reboot" of Harry Potter into a television or streaming series, but with a new generation... so having an excursion package along the NEC...

...I'm so tempted to try it from WAS to Hoboken but I'm not sure how well the ol' B&P would handle getting steam cleaned twice daily.
 #1621170  by CNJGeep

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:38 pm Understand the no steamers. Hoboken is a good Plan B. Wasn’t that B&O’s NYC terminus?
The B&O served the CNJ's waterfront terminal in Jersey City. I do believe the B&O ran a bus to Hoboken and NYC, however.
 #1621196  by John_Perkowski

west point wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:58 pm Shrink wrap only OK if it does not cover passenger windows. Otherwise, NO DEAL!
The locomotives are being shrink wrapped, not the cars.
 #1621212  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. West Point, from having had the experience of riding in shrink wrapped cars, both on Brightline and overseas, you can see "quite a bit" through such. I suppose if one is a photographer, there could be "issues", but Mr/s. "Average Passenger" really is not too worried about, down your way, if that Pine Tree is a Loblolly or a Pitch, or on the Corridor, does the junkyard in Philly look better than the one in Baltimore?

But I must admit, when I have flown overseas, I find it annoying that on a B-788, the flight crew can control when a passenger may "flightsee". The most annoying to me occurred - actually on a B-772, when a Westward flight was vectored over Greenland - somewhere I have never, or expect to, set foot upon, and I was looking out - well until an Attendant "jumped me". "Others can't see their movies with your shade open". I suppose if (I honestly don't know) those movies are sprinkled up with ads, and the airline gets a commission from sales made from such, they have economic interest in having eyes on the screen and not out the window.

When I wrote about this incident over at airliners.net, the consensus of responses was "how many people look out when inflight?" (I suppose if center cabin on a wide body, not much chance to do so).