Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak to the New York State Fair

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1518901  by STrRedWolf

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:14 am
mtuandrew wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:59 pmCan’t quite get to the Minnesota State Fairgrounds either, though you’re within a mile of the old St. Paul Midway Station that does still host private cars.
NJ State Fair (in the Meadowlands last week of June/early July, not related to the other state fair in Sussex County/Augusta) is right on the NJT Meadowlands Line.

I also recall service to Delaware State Fair in Dover.
I took a look at Wikimapia, and... it's a end station. No way to park and have hotel power/water. Also, NJ Transit wants you to take a bus from Secaucus Junction to the fairgrounds. That... doesn't quite qualify (probably due to the engineer shortage -- won't be surprised if they cancel trains to do service on game day).

Delaware's got a limited potential, but there's options there. It's a possibility if it can be built up to have a few berths for private trains. Getting there's the kicker though.
 #1518952  by R36 Combine Coach

Minor correction: Delaware State Fair is at Harrington Raceway, not Dover. Still right on the NS main line on the Delmarva peninsula.

Vermont State Fair is in Rutland, with a terminal and wye nearby. Wouldn't be too hard to add/drop a car off the Ethan Allen.

California's fair is in Sacramento, at the Expo Race Track, far from rail lines.

South Carolina: in Columbia, near rail lines. Could the CLB station have facilities?

North Carolina: NCDOT has a passenger stop here, in Raleigh. No platform, just a gravel "team track", sidings are also nearby.

Maryland State Fairgrounds: no direct main line rail access, but directly on light rail in Timonium.

Eastern States Exposition (the New England regional fair) is in West Springfield, MA.

Illinois State Fair in Springfield, close to a rail yard, but parking may be a problem.
 #1518958  by STrRedWolf

Yeah, the Timonium Fairgrounds can be reached by rail (it's standard grade and they do run some freight on it north of Penn Station Baltimore) but there's no siding/etc for parking a private consist.

So Vermont, South Carolina, North Carolina maybe, West Springfield, and Illinois. Hmmm...
 #1519036  by ExCon90

Pacific Electric used to run specials from Los Angeles (6th & Main) to the LA County Fair in Pomona, even after regular service had been cut back to Baldwin Park. A track ran directly into the property. I can't remember now, but I think the Metrolink San Bernardino service currently runs on the PE alignment at that location; whether either the possibility or inclination exists to restore access I don't know. Admittedly not a State fair, but without checking I think LA County may be bigger than some states--at least LA is bigger than most state capitals.
 #1574357  by R36 Combine Coach

The NY State Fair will reopen in 2021 at full capacity.
The 2021 New York State Fair, an end-of-summer celebration at the New York State Fairgrounds from August 20 to September 6 in Syracuse, will increase capacity to 100 percent and reopen many popular buildings with additional vendors, given the significant progress New Yorkers have made against COVID-19. In accordance with the State's evolving health guidelines, indoor spaces will be subject to capacity limits to allow attendees to be socially distanced within each building.
 #1624114  by Jeff Smith

https://www.localsyr.com/news/new-york- ... -fair/amp/
Tickets now available for direct train service to New York State Fair

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — As the countdown to the New York State Fair is getting closer, the New York State DOT is partnering with Amtrak to get more visitors from across the state to attend this years fair!

Tickets are now available for fair visitors to be able to take the train and skip tolls, traffic and parking fees, which will make daily stops at the State fair.

The train service will start Wednesday, August 23, with five trains making daily stops at the Fair throughout its 13-day duration, continuing through Monday, September 4.