Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1622018  by STrRedWolf

Ken W2KB wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:31 am
Jeff Smith wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:30 am I was on 2164 yesterday, delayed over an hour.
"NJ Transit officials said it's due to extensive repairs being made to the signal system on the Portal Bridge.
According to Amtrak, a contractor caused an electrical issue on Thursday that impacted critical systems on the bridge. "

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/nj ... al-bridge/
Read: Some electrical contractor staffer didn't connect things up right and when the signal system was re-energized, high voltage supply current was shoved though lines meant for actual data transmission, blowing equipment. It took overnight to get replacement equipment.

No word on said electrical contractor staffer's condition, so I assume likely they were sacked.
 #1622346  by STrRedWolf

Cali Zephyr 5(16) got terminated in Denver and bus-bridged to meet 6(15) being turned back at Grand Rapids due to a land slide. Got wind of it by a passenger on the train who shares a Discord server with me and asked around.

5(17) and 6(16) are being rerouted due to a weather-related issue in Nebraska.
 #1622363  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:24 am Mr. Wolf, Junction vice Rapids?

According to Mr. Google's cartographer, there are no Grand Rapids anywhere on the Zephyr's route.
Grand Junction, actually. (Too many Grands here. Where's the biscuits?)
 #1625481  by Railjunkie

Mackensen wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:18 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:50 am Empire Service is canceled today due to washouts along Metro-North territory near Cortlandt. No photos of the wash-out yet (I've been looking).
MTA has some pictures up on their Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos ... 0309669093.

If its underwater in Cortland then I hate too see what the area around Garrison looks like. North of the station is about 3ft above sea level. I have walked it in a flood situation story for another day, but I digress. Rumor last night was track 2 washed out on that curve. Possibly a large boulder may have fell around middle tunnel cratering the roadbed. More rain today and then with the runoff MNRR might be able to get track one up and running for limited service by Friday???
 #1625517  by Railjunkie

JimBoylan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:53 pm If you can believe Amtrak.com, out of 11 Southbound trains from Albany-Rensselaer, NY to Penn Station, New York City on 7/10/23, only 5 were cancelled.

Nothing went south of Albany today there was regular service between Albany/Boston, Chicago, Niagara Falls and Toronto. Westbound service will continue as normal. Burlington train #290 was able to return today but #291 did not go north due to bad storms in Vermont. They already had some bad washouts on the VTR see Ludlow VT.
 #1625518  by JimBoylan

Even the roads are closed in Vermont:
As of 8:12 PM ET, customers utilizing alternate transportation representing Vermonter Train 56, which departed Springfield (SPG) on 7/10, will return to Springfield due to severe weather conditions on the roads ahead. For assistance, please call/text 1-800-USA-RAIL.
8:15 PM · Jul 10, 2023
https://twitter.com/AmtrakNECAlerts/sta ... 8480460802
 #1625525  by Railjunkie

You can "try" to control how mother nature feels but when its that time of the month she can be nasty. Water especially a lot of water all at once will F $h!t up in a minute. Its easy to clean up a tree or two but that 30ft wide 10ft deep hole its going to be a minute or two.

Ask MNRR, they are hoping and I say hoping to have track one back by Friday afternoon.
 #1625530  by STrRedWolf

They were getting some decent headway on the washout by Manitou from MTA Metro-North's Flickr feed. Friday's a good safe guess on resumption of service, but I won't be surprised if they get it done by Wednesday.