Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1610509  by STrRedWolf

JimBoylan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:16 pm The Capital Ltd. left Chicago 2:45 late Thurs. night 11/18/22. Was that because extra cars were being added to handle passengers from the cancelled Lake Shore?
The only exceptions may be Empire Service Train 284 East from Syracuse, New York. It left 2 minutes late today and is shown as not cancelled tomorrow, Sat. Nov. 19. It's Zero percent full and sold out both days! It is cancelled at Rochester, New York, etc. I can't find a matching Westbound train.
48/448 and 49/449 were canceled for leaving on the 17th, but according to Amtrak Alerts Twitter, Cap Ltd 30(17) was delayed due to "mechanical issues". They had previously had signal issues in the Chicago area. Getting the equipment to NYC and Boston and back? Maybe? Folks would be rolling in vouchers to take the Cap Ltd/Cardinal and transfer to the NEC to get around the mess.
 #1610541  by Railjunkie

MIGHT AND I SAY MIGHT start to resume service Sunday night maybe ish. Niagara Falls sounds like a foot or less last night. Depew had around two ft last I checked. The major snow fall areas are Orchard Park (home of the Bills), East Aurora, Hamburg, W. Seneca and its still snowing. The Water Level route runs through or near these areas, the only way CSX would be able to keep it open and by open I mean barley is to run the rotary and have a couple of freights hot on its heels and hope for no issues. In today's world I don't that's going to happen. .
 #1612399  by STrRedWolf

There's no thing like snow for the holidays...

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/forecasted ... anges.html

Trains getting canceled due to the weather. Routes with partial cancellations (other trips on the route will run) canceled on Dec 22-25:
  • Lincoln Service 300, 301, 305, 306
  • Hiawatha 329, 332, 333, 336,337,340,343
  • Wolverine 352 and 353
In addition, these are canceled:
  • Missouri River Runner 311 and 316 on Dec 22-25
  • Missouri River Runner/Lincon Service shared 318/319 "Canceled only between St. Louis & Kansas City Dec 22-25"
  • Pere Marquitte 370 canceled Dec 22, 371 on Dec 23
  • Illini/Saluki 390 and 391 on Dec 23 (others on route will run)
  • Carl Sandburg/Illinois Zephyr bus-subs 3280 & 3381 on Dec 23/24.
Nationally, these are canceled and no bus-subs or alternatives available, origin dates starting:
  • Southwest Chief 3(23)
  • Empire Builder 7/27 and 8/28 (21-23)
  • Capitol Limited 29 and 30 (22,23)
  • Lake Shore Limited 48/448 and 49/449 (22/23)
  • Cardinal 50(22,24) and 51(21,23)
 #1612477  by STrRedWolf

They added the Vermonter and Ethen Allen Express to the list of truncations. Both won't venture into Vermont.

Also, at time of writing, the NEC is shut down between BAL and WAS due to downed power wires near BWI and signal issues. Trains are being held or pulled back to stations, with a rescue of an Acela. (Reminds me of Anthrocon 2019)
 #1612592  by JimBoylan

As of 12/26/22, Eastbound service through Buffalo, New York still hasn't happened since the previous message. Westbound service seems to have ended at Syracuse, New York. The 1st train may be tonight's Westbound Lake Shore Limited, which still has some space available, tomorrow's Eastbound is already cancelled.
 #1612644  by STrRedWolf

Four feet of snow and winds gusting at 70 MPH will do that.
Winter Storm Elliott Blamed For Dozens of Deaths In Buffalo, Nationwide

Amtrak has canceled a lot of trains. It's the 27th now so current cancelations today are:
  • Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner 318
  • Wolverine 353
  • Illinois Zephyr 382
  • Maple Leaf 63/64 truncated to Rochester or Syracuse.
  • Empire Service 280 truncated at Albany; 281, 283, 294 truncated at Syracuse
  • Capitol Limited 29
 #1612667  by John_Perkowski

I suspect more than one or two crews have died on the law, and are out of position. I also suspect the equipment in Chicago is HARD frozen.
 #1612673  by Railjunkie

Crews out of Albany have been turning and burning in Syracuse or laying over. The equipment has been ping ponging back and forth. I do not believe there is anything in Niagara Falls. I will go out on a limb and say there is or was a complete set for 449 in Boston and 49 in New York. There should be a complete set in Chicago, I talked with the first class attendant who I hired out with eiher Wednesday or Thursday on its last trip west. He mentioned he bid that particular assignment because it had the Christmas weekend off. He also mentioned Amtrak was supposed to fly the OBS crew back to New York. Wonder if he ever made it back.
 #1612685  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 am I suspect more than one or two crews have died on the law, and are out of position. I also suspect the equipment in Chicago is HARD frozen.
I'm thinking the latter, because stuff isn't moving around the Great Lakes. Buffalo's got over 4 feet of snow. I checked Amtrak and things are practically canceled if it hits Chicago or Buffalo for the rest of the week.