Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1591856  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:26 am Freakin' Amtrak... I'm having flashbacks to the June 21, 2010 MARC 538 incident near DC. Tell me if this sounds familiar:
  • Train breaks down on the busy NEC.
  • Engineers and conductors concentrate on diagnosing and fixing the problem.
  • Passengers are not notified and left clueless.
  • Delays mount until a rescue engine is found and attached.
  • Train is terminated.
The connecting relevance here is that in both cases, Amtrak personnel were running the train (by contract for MARC in 538's case). The difference here is 2151 was in colder weather and was kept warm by sunlight, while 538 was in sweltering heat that ended up evacuating the train and pulling in medics late -- a far worse case.
Yeah, cept it's the damn flagship train.
Imagine if B&O let this happen to the Capital Limited, or the Royal Blue.
 #1591858  by NY&LB

On one of the news reports, ABC I think, they had an interview with a passenger who seemed quite knowledgeable who said that the brakes were seized up so that may have been part of the issue that took 5-6 hours before they could DRAG the train to NYP. I guess moving the passengers off the disabled train to another one is not feasible given the ACELA’s have no traps and only narrow emergency ladders to exit the train.
 #1591869  by PRRTechFan

...7 hours is ridiculous. The reports said that the train lost all power... but in the end, another Acela coupled to it and towed it to NYP; so it wasn't a catenary power issue. Passengers on the stricken train said that the "screeching" noises made while being towed were terrible. There were also "burning odors" and some smoke. Sounds like seized brakes to me. But why couldn't the train have been towed... back... to the point that a rescue train could be brought along side?
 #1591916  by STrRedWolf

ABC 7 NY says the train was stopped outside the East River Tunnels in Queens. Train first lost power, regained it, then brakes were stuck.

Boston Globe says ice buildup on the train's pantograph lead to the power loss. (paywalled, but going reader view pulled the text out) They confirm it was at the opening.

CBS New York reports it was at Hunter's Point.

Fox 5 NYC also carried the report and has some passenger video.

From photos and such, here's the general area on Google Maps Sat view: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7441474 ... a=!3m1!1e3

OOOPS! There's a third rail for the LIRR trains! Couldn't evac the train safely, and there's no back door facing rearward.

That said, they should of gotten a rescue engine out there after one hour of diagnosis and trying to fix, and then have folks off inside of four hours. I hope those 100+ passengers got their tickets refunded!
 #1591960  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Found out yesterday evening about Acela 2151 2/14 stalling out near Hunterspoint Avenue...
I have some questions and thoughts:
1 - Exactly which track was 2151 on heading west - was it being routed into Line Two (as I think it may have been)
or Line Four? (East River Tunnels westbound into NYP) - I was not able to determine the exact location from the
ground photographs - did any media outlet get any airview of the stalled Acela trainset?

2 - Depending on the location of the train an evacuation to the adjacent LIRR Hunterspoint Avenue Station
using evacuation ladders with railroad and rescue personnel could have been undertaken. Remember that
third rail is only present on one side of the train - with supervision passengers could have been led to HPA.

3 - The time of this problem - during the 8AM "Commission Hour" is what actually was shocking (pun NOT
intended) to me - if this train was blocking a direct track into Lines Two or Four a rescue motor (ACS64) or
train for substantially less time could have been used - with Sunnyside Yard so close by...

4 - At one time the LIRR had their own "Protect" diesel units on standby for each peak period weekdays at
Harold Tower - which were one or two SW1001 units equipped with an MU coupler and control stand.
There were two Engineer-only jobs that were (from a 2006 LIRR ETT) from Morris Park-Jamaica:
Report Morris Park 5:30 AM - Engine Lite to Harold Tower - Return to Morris Park - Release 1:30 PM
Report Morris Park 2:00 PM - Engine Lite to Harold Tower - Return to Morris Park - Release 10:00 PM
"Rescue Trains with or without Passengers Lines 1,2,3,4, Hunterspoint Avenue, Long Island City, F and
Harold Areas to Penn Station, Jamaica and Shea Stadium" (Port Washington Branch now named Mets-
Willets Point) - LIRR Protect engines have rescued Amtrak trains and have even gone to rescue NJT
trains stalled in the tunnels - including rare moves west of Penn Station - as necessary. Recent LIRR
ETTs no longer show these two "protects" - could they have been ended for ESA construction?

5 - The broken down Acela trainset had its brakes lock up or were there seized traction motors on one
or both power units? One reason that the train had to be slowly towed into NYP is that one or more
axles were stationary - meaning sliding wheels and flat spots from the train being "dragged" into
NYP by the ACS64 rescue motor - which only added to what was for the passengers and train crew
a very lengthy and frustrating delay - that should not have taken seven hours to get into NYP...

What surprised me is seeing how much media coverage the 2/14 Acela 2151 delay had...MACTRAXX
 #1592001  by JimBoylan

Has another snowflake been forecast?
Modified Service Due to Winter Storm Miles
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 6:30PM ET
Due to forecasted impacts from the winter storm and for the safety of our customers and employees, Amtrak has made the following temporary service adjustments for Thursday, February 17, and Friday, February 18, 2022:

On Thursday, February 17, the following service is canceled:

Lincoln Service Trains 304 & 305 (operating between St. Louis and Chicago), other round-trips remain scheduled for Trains 300, 301, 302, 303, 306 & 307.
Missouri River Runner Train 313 (operating between St. Louis, Mo. and Kansas City, Mo.)
Pere Marquette Train 370 (operating between Chicago and Grand Rapids, Mich.)
On Friday, February 18, the following service is canceled:

Lincoln Service Trains 300 & 301 (operating between St. Louis and Chicago), other round-trips remain scheduled for Trains 302, 303, 304, 305, 306 & 307.
Missouri River Runner Train 314 (operating between Kansas City and St. Louis)
Pere Marquette Train 371 (operating between Grand Rapids, Mich., and Chicago)
 #1592003  by MACTRAXX

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:26 am Freakin' Amtrak... I'm having flashbacks to the June 21, 2010 MARC 538 incident near DC. Tell me if this sounds familiar:
  • Train is terminated.
The connecting relevance here is that in both cases, Amtrak personnel were running the train (by contract for MARC in 538's case). The difference here is 2151 was in colder weather and was kept warm by sunlight, while 538 was in sweltering heat that ended up evacuating the train and pulling in medics late -- a far worse case.
RW - This was the discussion about the June 21, 2010 MARC Penn Line train breakdown:
https://railroad.net/passengers-strande ... 73152.html
(7 pages - 98 posts from the DC-MD-VA Forum Archives) In my 17 year RR.net membership past topics CAN
be found using a simple search - in my opinion too many members do not use them to their advantage
when they are here for reference and research for any one of us at any time...MACTRAXX
 #1592005  by Matt Johnson

NY&LB wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:43 am I guess moving the passengers off the disabled train to another one is not feasible given the ACELA’s have no traps and only narrow emergency ladders to exit the train.
I was aboard an Acela that snagged the catenary just before New Rochelle back in 2001. We sat for at least an hour but eventually they used the emergency steps to have us de-train and board a rescue train on the adjacent track. (There was a large space between trains - the two tracks happened to be far apart there.) I don't know why that couldn't be done in this case, but 7 hours does seem ridiculous.
Last edited by Matt Johnson on Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1592059  by STrRedWolf

JimBoylan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:27 pm Has another snowflake been forecast?
Modified Service Due to Winter Storm Miles
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 6:30PM ET
Due to forecasted impacts from the winter storm and for the safety of our customers and employees, Amtrak has made the following temporary service adjustments for Thursday, February 17, and Friday, February 18, 2022:

On Thursday, February 17, the following service is canceled:

Lincoln Service Trains 304 & 305 (operating between St. Louis and Chicago), other round-trips remain scheduled for Trains 300, 301, 302, 303, 306 & 307.
Missouri River Runner Train 313 (operating between St. Louis, Mo. and Kansas City, Mo.)
Pere Marquette Train 370 (operating between Chicago and Grand Rapids, Mich.)
On Friday, February 18, the following service is canceled:

Lincoln Service Trains 300 & 301 (operating between St. Louis and Chicago), other round-trips remain scheduled for Trains 302, 303, 304, 305, 306 & 307.
Missouri River Runner Train 314 (operating between Kansas City and St. Louis)
Pere Marquette Train 371 (operating between Grand Rapids, Mich., and Chicago)
Yeah, it's been on the Today show, a long range one, from Tulsa through Chicago and over to Boston/New England area. The bigger concern is the high winds they're predicting.
 #1592060  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm
  • Train is terminated.
RW - This was the discussion about the June 21, 2010 MARC Penn Line train breakdown:
https://railroad.net/passengers-strande ... 73152.html
(7 pages - 98 posts from the DC-MD-VA Forum Archives) In my 17 year RR.net membership past topics CAN
be found using a simple search - in my opinion too many members do not use them to their advantage
when they are here for reference and research for any one of us at any time...MACTRAXX
Sorry about that, I was just too frustrated that something I remembered happening and saw the changes happen... happen AGAIN in a different area.
 #1592083  by rcthompson04

The lack of a rescue locomotive at a peak period by the busiest train station in the Western Hemisphere seems to be a big oops. If you are that short of crews, cancel a train and send that locomotive out as a rescue. You could have cancelled one of the two Keystones leaving NYP after this issue and sent their ACS-64 out to rescue.
 #1594004  by STrRedWolf

City of New Orleans 58 (21) hit a semi north of Hammond, Louisiana. The Advocate says it happened in Tickfaw, at the US 51/Bonfiglio Lane intersection. No injuries or deaths -- semi was trying to turn onto US 51, so the train hit the trailer.

A fellow railfur happened on the accident while he was railfanning in the area and got a snapshot:

According to him, P42DC's 81 and 33 came up from New Orleans while they took out the shattered window, tarped and taped it up. So you got 81/33/163 on 58(21) and it's running about 7h20m late.